Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpwhitfam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2012, 10:51 PM
    why does my wool rug smell like urine at times (but it hasn't been peed on)
    I have a wool rug that my kids say smells like pee (urine). I've had it professionally cleaned and we keep a gate up so the dog can NOT even walk near the rug. The dog has never been on the rug. It still smells musky at times - very similar to a urine scent. We vacuum the rug often, don't wear shoes in the house, don't spill food - and we don't have accidents on the rug. We live in a low humidity area that is sunny and have lots of open windows.

What can the smell be? It's not a cheap rug but not a hugely expensive rug. It's a good rug. 9x12 about $4000. It's only 5 years old and I certainly don't want to toss it but it smells every so often. We can not pin point the specific area when we experience the smell.

Any guesses on what is causing such smell? And how to get rid of the smell.

Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 11:01 PM
    Did the previous homeowners have pets? Could the smell be coming from the floor under the rug?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 25, 2012, 03:48 AM
    I wonder if it was there all along, from the place you bought it. If it was stored in a warehouse, mice might have peed on it. Turn half of it over and peer at the bottom to look for small dark spots. Treat it top and bottom, half at a time, with a deodorizer. I suppose you could have it cleaned but it will be expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog puked a couple times and hasn't eaten the past 2 days [ 2 Answers ]

She is a little overweight and has hip dysplasia. The past couple of months she hasn't been eating as much as normal. Tonight she seemed a little stressed and restless. Any thoughts?

Female squirting, sometimes smells like urine - other times does not. [ 6 Answers ]

All right, so to start I'm 21 years old. I've been searching this website (and the internet) top to bottom regarding squirting. About 4-5 months ago I started expelling a liquid while masturbating. It's the consistency of water. At first I was sure I was squirting, it didn't really have an...

My cat hasn't peed in 2 days [ 2 Answers ]

The little box has been clean since Sunday night. I don't believe he has peed in the house. He has a certain space he pees which is covered with towels. Hardt o tell if the pee on there is new or old he also hasn't pooped since Sunday either. His biological brother died 2 years ago today of renal...

A cat urine smell comes and goes but not cat urine [ 1 Answers ]

Have a cat urine smell in house can't smell all the time, checked house entirely and the cat has not urinated anywhere in the house, was wondering if could be a mold or fume smell

Urine smell Comes and Goes [ 3 Answers ]

We have a cottage in which we are getting very intermittent smells of urine (we believe). It shows up at odd times in one of our three bedrooms. Stays around for a few minutes and then after opening a window disappears. The bathrooms do not smell. I have checked the plumbing in the crawl space and...

View more questions Search