Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ojosdelangel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 05:43 AM
    "New Hardware Found" Virus?
    My computer keeps saying “New Hardware Found CD/DVD Drive” once it starts up and then the entire system freezes. I tried starting it in Safe Mode, but that didn't work. I even tried system restore, but I either couldn't get to it fast enough before it froze or when I did and clicked on it nothing happened.

Is this a virus?? It has rendered my computer completely useless! :mad:

Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Never heard of it being a virus. Sounds like you have a bad drive. Try unplugging your CD drive and then rebooting. If it works OK, then I would replace the drive.

Mar 13, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Would this not void my warranty? If not, then great, because I think you're right, I don't think it's a virus, I think future shop is just lazy.

Mar 13, 2007, 06:08 AM
    If its still under warranty then get warranty service.

Mar 13, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Well that's the problem, they didn't even want to look at my computer (literally... when it was booting up and the problem occurs, the guy was talking to another person) and just said it was a virus and that I had to wipe my hard drive and because virus's aren't covered, I'd have to pay for Data Recovery

Mar 13, 2007, 06:16 AM
    First do you have an up to date A/V program? Does it find anything?

If the tech claims it's a virus then ask them what virus? Tell them you can't find any references to a virus that actsa that way. So if they know it's a virus just tell you the name so you can find removal instuctions. Also ask them how you are supposed to restore your drive if your CD doesn't work?

Sounds to me like they just didn't want to do any work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Windows baloney! "Safely Remove Hardware" [ 4 Answers ]

I've got a Seagate external hard drive that removes just fine from my laptop, but here at my office I get the message "The devie 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later." When I click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon. I've googled it to death...

Windows xp" Help and Support Services" not found [ 1 Answers ]

On clicking Help and Support in startup menu an error messege appears"Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe' Make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again.To search for a file,click the Start button, and then click Search."I searched and found the files at...

LoadLibrary("initpki.dll") failed - The specific module could not be found. [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I think I may have got myself in a bit of a pickle here! and I'm a bit of a novice in terms of computing. Right I have XP and I have AOL 9.0, I recently downloaded MSN messenger 7.5, I've had no problem with msn messenger in the past but this time I couldn't sign on. I also noted that I...

Word, "requesting virus scan" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Running Word, Office 2000, on Win XP, when we attempt to load a file from any disk, we get the hourglass icon, the Word message "Requesting Virus scan", and no progress from there. Our Virus scanner is ESET/Nod32. This is a new installation, with SP2 updates, the previous installation of the...

View more questions Search