Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dollslemonade Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2012, 05:47 PM
    What to do if a burglar enters your home while you are in
    I am a student in England living with friends in a house off campus. This morning the police arrived to inform us that there have been five burglaries on our street in one week and our house was flagged as a target.
    So naturally I'm terrified.
    The front of our house has two doors, this is obvious if you look through the fogged glass, but it looks weak (it's not though); apparently this is an indication that the back of the house will be even weaker, in this case its wrong, we have two back doors and they are strong, not to mention we have a high wall and gate but even I could get past that.
    But this doesn't reassure me because now I know that they are likely to try to come through the back first; if someone were to break in through the back door they would immediately be greeted by my study, following that they will go through another door and find themselves in my bedroom stood directly beside my bed in which I will be sleeping (I'm assuming it will be a night time burglary but even during the day I don't get out much due to the work load so I'd be in my study) What should I do at this point?
    I'm scared that they will panic at encountering someone so early on in their conquest and probably do me some grievous bodily harm, I can hope they run but it could go either way.
    The people I'm living with don't understand why I'm so scared but they all live upstairs, they would have time to leave or call the police; I wouldn't. It's the same for the person who has a bedroom next to the front doors.
    I've started putting things in the way of the doors now; chairs, boxes, bottles lying on the floor, a traffic cone my friends stole from somewhere, just stuff that would cause a burglar to stumble or make a noise so I have a chance but it really isn't enough and weapons are out of the question for me, I'd be more scared of doing damage to myself!
    I just want reassurance that there is something I can do. I know how to prevent but I don't know what to do if prevention doesn't work.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2012, 06:58 PM
    You are in the UK... you aren't allowed to have guns or defend yourself... you are basically screwed if it happens... don't leave valuables laying around in obvious or easy to see places... and if someone does it when you are there... odds are they are better armed than you are so don't fight them... unless of course they intend to rape you or worse... then give it your best shot and go for the tender parts first... eyes, scrotum and throat.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
    Many Criminals don't like lights/sirens? You could have a pendant that triggers an alarm, May increase your odds.
    Camera(s) may help, if funds are tight, find an old broken camera and place nearby(not easily accessable)maybe use as a deterent.
    Is Pepper Spray Illegal?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog attacking a burglar [ 3 Answers ]

I want my dog to attack on command

A cop enters home uninvited and threatens court summons without offering citation. [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, I held a party in an apartment in the U.S. During this gathering, another group of people illegally trespassed on the roof of the building and threw something off, prompting a bypasser to call the police. The police came to my door, and when I opened it, they physically moved me out of...

Cat burglar and phone calls. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey.. I'm a tad freaked out right now.. For the past few weeks some one under the name "Private Caller" Keeps calling my house ever few days.. When someone picks up they hang up imidetly.. Well today this person called.. I picked up but didn't answer.. Mainly to see if I hear breathing or...

Which burglar deterrent CD is better [ 1 Answers ]

I am going on vacation, and I live in an apartment building. Which burglar deterrent CD is better, from www.deterrentsounds.com] or www.audioguard.com]?

How to nab a burglar? [ 3 Answers ]

The probability is 0.6 that a single burglar alarm will detect a burglar. How many alarms should be used to be at least 90% certain that a burglar is detected? What formula do I use to solve this ? June must take a physical exam and a written exam. The probabilty of passing a written exam is...

View more questions Search