Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ak_huntress Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2012, 05:27 PM
    Drank hard on Monday, EtG test on Wednesday
    A buddy of mine (who isn’t supposed to be drinking) drank pretty hard on Monday; starting at about 4:00pm and finishing up around 11:30pm. He had three Kokanee beers (16 oz, 5.3% alcohol content) 25 ounces of 80 proof liquor (Vodka and Jagermeister). He's a fairly big guy weighing 243 lbs (110.2 kg) and is about 5 ft 10 inches tall. He didn't appear to be ridiculously intoxicated like the consumption would indicate and he was completely sober 14 days prior. He was able to walk with a steady gate and hold a reasonably intelligible conversation. The following morning, Tuesday, he was pretty hung over and vomited several times. Later in the afternoon, he had 3 Kokanee (16 oz). Today (Wednesday) at about 10 am, he was unexpectedly required to submit a urine sample for EtG analysis. Is his test going to come back positive? And if so, how positive? Can he play if off by claiming extraneous exposure to other alcohols? HELP!!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 05:29 PM
    Unlikely that he'll pass, and really, he shouldn't. Fact is, if he's on probation and not drinking is part of that probation, he should be caught, and he likely will be.

Maybe this is what needs to happen for him to finally realize that drinking is not something he should be doing. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way.

Oct 24, 2012, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Unlikely that he'll pass, and really, he shouldn't. Fact is, if he's on probation and not drinking is part of that probation, he should be caught, and he likely will be.

Maybe this is what needs to happen for him to finally realize that drinking is not something he should be doing. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way.
    I appreciate the input but its not a probation thing. He shouldn't be drinking, I get that. I'm trying to be a good friend and support him.
    Pets Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_huntress View Post
    I appreciate the input but its not a probation thing. He shouldn't be drinking, I get that. I'm trying to be a good friend and support him.
    If it's not probation than why is he subject to random ETG tests?

Oct 24, 2012, 05:51 PM
    Employment

Oct 24, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Employment
    In addition to Alcohol, the screening is also for drugs. Which I know he will pass that part with flying colors.

Oct 24, 2012, 05:54 PM
    I misstated the alcohol content of the two liquors. The vodka is 100 proof (40% by vol.) and Jagermeister is 70 proof (35% by vol.)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 05:56 PM
    I'm sorry, but it looks like he won't pass.
    Pets Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 06:35 PM
    One thing I don't understand. If this is for employment, they really can't stipulate that he not drink on his own time. No employer has the right to say "you can't drink when you're not working".

So why would he be worried about failing a test for alcohol when the employer cannot tell any employee what he/she can do on their own time? Unless there's other reasons, like probation, where he's not allowed to drink, this makes no sense.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 08:08 PM
    So why would he be worried about failing a test for alcohol when the employer cannot tell any employee what he/she can do on their own time?
    Alty, how would you feel if I was hungover and you came in to my hospital? I drank on my own time.

Oct 24, 2012, 08:17 PM
    One thing I don't understand. If this is for employment, they really can't stipulate that he not drink on his own time. No employer has the right to say "you can't drink when you're not working".

So why would he be worried about failing a test for alcohol when the employer cannot tell any employee what he/she can do on their own time? Unless there's other reasons, like probation, where he's not allowed to drink, this makes no sense.
    He works in a "dry" camp where they have a zero tolerance policy on alcohol and substances on company property. While they are living at camp they aren't to consume even when off duty.

Oct 24, 2012, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I'm sorry, but it looks like he won't pass.
    Will he fail miserably?
    Pets Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 09:11 PM
    Will he fail miserably?
    That we can't say. But from what you posted, it's a dry camp, so even a mediocre fail won't be tolerated. He doesn't need to fail miserably to lose his job, he just has to fail, and he will.
    Pets Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Alty, how would you feel if I was hungover and you came in to my hospital? I drank on my own time.
    I wouldn't be pleased, but that's not my point. Are you saying you never have a glass of wine with dinner, or a beer or two after work? If you do, and you're tested the day after, should you lose your job because you had a drink or two after work?

Oct 25, 2012, 10:08 AM
    I can think of a couple employers off the top of my head that have a say in an employee’s alcohol consumption off duty. The FAA recommends pilots not to consume for 12 to 24 hours before fly. http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/aim0801.html I can almost guarantee that every single commercial airline has an alcohol policy and can terminate certain employees (like flight crew) for drinking that is in violation of those policies. From personal experience; the US Army requires complete alcohol and nicotine abstinence during basic training, advanced individual training, and under orders while deployed. If a soldier is caught consuming, s/he can be court martialed and dishonorably discharged (fired).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will I pass my ETG test if I drank two 40z beers on Friday test is on Monday [ 2 Answers ]

I had 1 and 1/2 40 oz beers ( Thurs) finished at 2am Fri. Then drank the rest of the 1/2 40oz Friday finished at 4 pm.. Will I pass my EtG on Monday at 7pm?

I drank on wed. thurs. and fri. and have a EtG test on Monday? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there! I drank Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday until about 4pm. I had about 4 glasses of wine (including saki) and about 4 shots. I may have a EtG test today around 6pm will I pass? Since it has been about 72 hours! I have been drinking tons of water, cranberry juice, and powerades for the past...

Can I pass an EtG test on Monday if I drank on Tuesday [ 5 Answers ]

I drank about 7-8 shots on Tuesday,at about 4-30 pm. I have to take an EtG test on the following Monday at 5,(which is today), do you think I will pass the test?

View more questions Search