Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dirk Boshoff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
    Fahrenheit versus celsius, where is 32 coming from
    Where does the total 32 coming from? I do understand the concept of freezing water at 0° C and 32° F. But how can we give a definition for "32°F" to understand how and who determined it? Where did it come from?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
    The main reason why freezing water is 32 on the Fahrenheit scale is because he (Fahrenheit) devised his original scale based on something other than the freezing and boiling points of water. Instead he chose to set 0 as the freezing point of a particular brine mix consisting of ice, water, and ammonium chloride and 96 as normal body temperature. This put the temp of freezing water close to 32, but not exactly. Later he refined his scale - he got rid of the brine mix idea and instead defined freezing water as exactly 32 and body temperature as 96. This put the temperature of boiling water close to 212, but not exactly. Still later after he died his scale was modified again to define freezing water as 32 and boiling water as exactly 212. So now F is based on the same physical phenomena as the celsius scale, but with a total of 180 degrees between them. This has the advantage of making it easy to convert C to F, using the formula F = Cx9/5 + 32. Normal body temperature is now 98.6 degrees F, not 96.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fahrenheit/Celsius [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Honeywell MagicStat/32 programmable thermostat, which has been working fine for years. Today it is reading temps. In celsius rather than fahrenheit, and I can't find any switch to change it back, nor can I find any reference to making this change in the instructions manual. I am sure it...

Change celsius to fahrenheit [ 2 Answers ]

Thermostat switched from fahrenheit to celsius can't switch it back

Honeywell thermostat model t8112d1005 how do I change celsius to fahrenheit? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change honeywell thermostat model t8112d1005 from celsius to fahrenheit?

Harbor Breeze Remote on celsius instead of fahrenheit [ 6 Answers ]

Help! I came home today and found that my harbor breeze fan remote control (Model: TRC100L) is set on celsius instead of fahrenheit! I'm not sure how this happened unless the cat messed it up while I was at work. I don't have a manual, how do I switch back?

Celsius versus fahrenheit [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to reset a Maple Case Thermostat back to fahrenheit? We have a random button pusher visiting who has no idea how they changed it.

View more questions Search