Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shaduke22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Can my sister make me pay for my dads funeral
    My dad die and my sister wants me to pay part of the funeral costs everything at the funeral is in her name. Can she make me pay for part of the funeral which split 3 ways is a little 2000 dollars my name is no where on any legal pertaining to the funeral expenses some put my name pn the side of the paper for the amount that the funeral wants me to pay. Am I legally bind my this funeral paper work I never did sign paper work of any kind
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 23, 2012, 06:39 PM
    Your email address was removed, it is against site rules for off board contact.

Legally your dad's estate, if any will pay for the funeral, money in dad's bank account will be used, if he had a car it may have to be sold along with other items to pay his bills before anyone else gets anything.

While it is morally right for you to pay a share of your own fathers funeral, I will assume you did not get along with him and had little to do with him since you feel no obligation to share this cost.

But if you are in the US, no you have no personal obligation.
    shaduke22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2012, 07:30 PM
    Thank you and yes I live the usa and I feel that she kept me and my in the dark with dad on certain things and I mad about that and her.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2012, 03:26 AM
    The executor of the estate can take the costs of funeral expenses from the assets of the estate before any distribution to the heirs. So your share of any inheritance can be reduced to pay the expenses. Otherwise you cannot be forced to pay for expenses you didn't authorize.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dads girlfriend is ruining me and my dads relationship [ 20 Answers ]

My parents have been divorced since I can remember; I was about 3 at the time. Mum dated a few times but now she has a boyfriend who I get along with. He has his boundaries and would never come between me and my mother's relationship. But my dad's girlfriend is another story. They have been...

My sister has withdrawn money from an ATM the day after my mum's funeral [ 5 Answers ]

Can some one help? My sister has done something dreadful since my mum died. I now have proof she withdrew 70 pounds the day after our mum's funeral at a golf retail centre. She has also laundered 20.000 pounds and transferred money into a new bank account she opened. I am an executor to mum's...

Can I force my sister to reimburse me for cost of father's funeral? [ 4 Answers ]

My father died in January. My younger brother and I paid towards the cost of his funeral, while my sister and older brother did not. We all agreed that my brother and I would receive back the money we paid when the sale of dad's house was finalized in November. (He had previously entered a land...

View more questions Search