Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChemE584 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2012, 03:00 PM
    Vacuum Breaker vs Air Release Valve
    I am working on a water filtration plant that using pumps to "vacuum" filtered/clean water from a tank and then transfer it to a clearwell. I'm not sure if I should be using an air release valve or a vacuum breaker valve. Here's the setup.

The pump vacuums water (elevation not important as I have my suction figured out), then the discharge piping from the pump immediately goes up 12 feet, where a backpressure loop is then located (another 3 feet up). From there the piping goes down (below the pump centerline) to the clearwell. The high level in the clearwell is higher than the pump centerline, but lower than the high point in the piping. I've been told to use vacuum breakers when the clearwell is lower than the discharge piping, but I'm not exactly sure why as I don't believe contamination is of concern (water is clean).

I am calculating the TDH of the pump and the use an air release valve or vacuum breaker will affect what is used for static discharge. If I use an air release valve the static discharge will be based off the high level in the clearwell (as it's a submerged discharge) and if I use a vacuum breaker valve the static discharge will be based off the high point in the piping (since it's introducing atmospheric air to the system). For some reason I have a difficult time grasping this concept!

Check out some similar questions!

What the difference vacuum relief valve/ vacuum breaker for water heater? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between vacuum relief valve and a vacuum breaker valve

How vacuum is maintained in a vacuum circuit breaker [ 0 Answers ]

In industries we use vacuum circuit breaker to disconnect supply in a faulty condition. But how vacuum is maintained for a long term use of circuit breaker?

Repair handle release for dirt devil vacuum cleaner [ 0 Answers ]

Hi Folks. My wife broke the handle release module for our Dirt Devil carpet cleaner. The model number is:088705 and the type is: S. I have purchased a new handle release module; however, I am having a hard time installing the new handle release module in the unit. I can see slots on...

Vacuum breaker [ 2 Answers ]

I know there is a way to plumb a dishwasher in without having a vacuum breaker on your sink but I have forgotten how. Can someone help me?

Vacuum breaker [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to install my dishwasher without a vacuum breaker on my sink faucet. I have a garbage disposal. I understand that I can install the dishwasher through the garbage disposal without a vacuum breaker but I do not know how. Can you help ?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.