Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wueq Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 09:28 PM
    First year choice or not
    Hi,

My status in 2006 is this:

F1 to June, then OPT to 11/26/2006, then H1B
    My wife held B1/B2 Visa in 2006, she stayed here from 8/1/2006 to 12/31/2006, this January, she changed the Visa to H4

In 2006, my tuition was about 16000

If I file as non-resident, I can not claim my tuition tax credit and can not use SD, then is it possible to use first year choice? If so, can I cliam my tuition, will I get more refund?

Thanks in advance

Michael
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Michael

You CANNOT claim the tuition deduction/credit under First Year choice or as a non-resident alien.

However, if you file jointly with your wife, with you BOTH choosing to be treated as resident aliens for all of 2006, you then CAN claim the tuition credit/deduction.
    wueq Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Hi ATE,

Thanks for your inputs.
    My wife stayed here with a B1/B2 Visa in 2006, Can I file jointly with her and choose to be treated as resident aliens? I am comfused with this, because if we choose to file as resident aliens, we can use standard deduction, also we can claim the education credit, there are too more benefits to believe.

By the way, another question, because we both are canadian permanent resident, it is said, even I file as NR, I am still eligible file jointly with my wife and use standard deduction, is it true?

Thanks

Michael
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 10:15 AM
    I believe that IS the case for Canadian permanent residents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First year choice for H1-B employee [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on August 15 on H1-B. Since then I am in US only and will be there for full 2007 year. I understood that I need to file 1040NR for my income for year 2006. But I heard there is something first year choice through which I can file 1040 as resident to take advantage of deduction....

First year choice and extension questions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first visit to the US from India on a L1 Visa. I am accompanied by my wife who is currently not working and a kid who was born in India. All three of us landed in the state of Massachusetts on 29th July 2005. We were in Massachusetts till December 31st and then on 1st jan 2006...

What is First Year Choice [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta Tax Expert, Thank you for your assistance. Since my wife's employer didn't withheld her Social Security and Medicare tax because they think she should be exempted from those two taxes, how can she file on her tax form about this? Does she need to pay the penalty? BTW, what's...

First Year Choice statement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, In my earlier posting, you had advised that I wait till about June 2006 and then file as a resident using the First Year Choice( FYI- I changed to H1 status from F1 in Oct 2005) . How many days do I have to be in the US in 2006 to meet the substantial presence test? And...

View more questions Search