Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    advocate925 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
    Its just not right.
    One of my coworkers was terminated when she called off to be with her daughter who was critically ill following complications from a surgery. She was terminated last week, mid-week. Her daughter died this morning, Monday Oct. 22nd. This employee was within her last ninety days of probation which had been extended from three months to six months to nine months. A call off during probation puts one in discipline and their probationary period is extended ninety days with each call off up to nine months. This was her third call off within nine months. She has been a good worker other than the fact that our institutions policies for absence is very rigid for new employees. She was a per diem employee with no benefits and had no FMLA in place. I feel she paid the price for the numerous call offs we have in our department for all those that do have FMLA's, and some of them of course abuse it. This question comes from Ohio. Ohio is an "At Will State" concerning employment. The institution I'm speaking of is a hospital. It has never made sense to me that a hospital expects new employees to be sick less than one day in ninety days, or three days in nine months when their immune system has yet to adapt to their new work environment and build up immunity to all the bugs hospital employees, especially care givers of any kind come in contact with. This employee was a new phlebotomist. Does she have any recourse with her employer for calling off when her own flesh and blood (daughter) was on the edge of life and death. Would presentation of a physicians note and a death certificate to Human Resources help this employee get a reversal of this decision.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
    Probably not. From what you are saying she violated the standards of her probation. It may not be fair, but I seriously doubt she can get the decision reversed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search