Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clearwater70 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 03:49 PM
    DVD recorder/Player, Satellite receiver
    I am new to this site and I find many good answers; however, I have not as yet found the answer to solve my dilemma.

I have an LG DVD recorder/player LRH-539 model: It has RCA in and out connections, and only out component connections: one s-video (I can't tell whether it is the output or input) I would guess it would be an output type.

FTA Satellite Viewsat extreme 2K: It has RCA connections (output only) and Components (output only). One s-video outlet and I would imagine it is only the output type.

TV is an old RCA type: It has one s-video outlet, two sets of RCA connections for Video 1 and Video 2.

Satellite receiver runs on channel 91 and DVD recorder on 3

Anyone who can tell me how can I get these three devices hooked up to work properly would be something to reckon with, because I have tried almost everything to make it work without success.

When I start recording a program from the satellite, the recorder picks up channel 3 on TV instead. Figure that out.

I need your help.

Thank you.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 14, 2007, 09:24 AM
    First of all, channel 91 or channel 3 shouldn't matter.

According to specs, your LG will have s-video in/out and RCAs in/out. Your FTA receiver will have outputs only. Your TV wll have inputs.

You need to connect the LG between the FTA receiver and your TV.

Take the FTA s-video output and connect it the LG s-video input. Connect the LG RCA outputs (Red, white and yellow) to your TV's corresponding RCA inputs (Video 1).

You do not need to select channel 3 on your TV, select the Video 1 input instead.:)

Mar 16, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Thanks for the answer.

I have done exactly what your instructions told me to do. But it doesn't work. When I turn my DVD recorder on, no sign of the recorder shows on the screen (when viewing a program via the satellite), in order to select the proper buttons to start recording. But if I just hit the recording button, it records off the TV channel 3 (the same channel DVD recorder runs on).

When you say "do not select channel 3 but Video 1 instead", how would you select video 1? This is where I may have gone wrong; it is probably where the problem lies.

Your response would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 16, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Lets start from the beginning.

Disconnect all cables.

Connect the Dish feed to the FTA receiver, it will be an F-type coaxial cable.

Now assuming your dish is aimed properly, the FTA should be picking all the free unscrambled channels.

To view the audio video from the FTA, you need to connect its a/v outputs, S-video or composite video (Yellow RCA), and the audio (red, white RCAs) to your TV's corresponding inputs. I believe you call this "Video 1".

On your TV remote there should be an input select button to select Video 1 or Video 2 or RF, etc. In may also be individual buttons.

When you select "Video 1", you should now see the unscrambled channels. There is no channel 3 now.

Try this, what do you see?

Now, to record this, connect the LG between the FTA and TV, like my instructions. Set the LG to record from the S-video (or yellow RCA) input, NOT channel 3.

You should still be viewing "Video 1", there is no channel 3 anymore.:)

Mar 17, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Hi,

Thanks a lot again for your info.

I did exactly as you instructed; the recorder only records what is on TV channel 3.

There are two Input video outlets; Video 1 & Video 2 (RCA) and one select video outlet (RCA) on the back of TV. How do you know, whether you have selected video 1 or Video 2? In order to select the right video outlet, is it necessary to connect cable to the select outlet as well? If that is the case where would you connect the other end of the cable?

I know I am getting more confused about this seemingly easy connection procedure. I can tell you I am not that ignorant about this stuff. But this one had overwhelmingly bewildered me.

Your help is much needed.

Thank you

Mar 17, 2007, 09:42 AM
    This is not hard. Lets get to the basics. What model is your TV?

Disconnect ALL cables from TV.

Disconnect ALL cables from LG. Do not connect anything to the RF OUT and ANT. IN connectors.

Forget about the satellite FTA for now.

Cables you need: 1 x RCA cables with Yellow, red and white connectors on both ends.

Step 1. Find the Red, white and yellow RCA connectors on the back of your LG. They will be labeled "Audio out" and Video out".

Step 2. Look at the back of your TV. You should also see Red, white and yellow RCA connectors. Look carefully they should be labeled VIDEO 1 (like you said).

Step 3. Use the RCA cable and connect yellow to yellow, red to red, white to white.

Step 4. Place a dvd movie into the LG, and press play.

Step 5. On your TV remote control. Look for a button labeled "Input". It is probably near the number keypad.

Step 6. Press this "Input" button repeatedly until Video 1 is displayed on the screen. Now the DVD movie should be viewable. On the screen.

STOP HERE. AND ENJOY THE MOVIE... :)

Mar 17, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Thanks again.

Yah you're right, LG plays the video with the above arrangements. But how does it record from the Satellite receiver?

May be I didn't describe the connection arrangement layout clearly. I'll try again. Here's what I have:

Satellite Free to air satellite receiver:
    1- LNB in
    1- IF out
    1- S-Video out
    1- serial port
    1- set of RCA connections out (Yellow, red and white)
    1- set of component connections out (blue, green and red)
    1- ANT in
    1- TV out

LG DVD Recorder:

1- ANT in
    1- RF out
    1- set of RCA connections out
    1- set of connections in - input 1
    1- set of connections in - input 2
    1- set of components out
    1- s- video out
    1- s- video in

TV

1- set of RCA connections input 1
    1- set of RCA connections input 2
    1- s-video in
    1- RCA connection select
    1- TV cable in

The connection layout prior to the changes I made according to your instructions

- Coax cable to "ANT in" LG
    - Coax cable from LG to TV

- RCA connections (yellow, red and white) from Satellite Receiver to TV input 1 RCA connections
    - RCA Connections from LG to TV input 2 RCA connection

- Satellite cable from the dish to the Receiver

With the above arrangement:
    - I can view the satellite program on Input 1 channel 91
    - I can view DVD player and record on channel 3.

I tried all the methods you have been kind enough to provide me with but unfortunately to no avail. What gives?

The last method you described enabled the DVD player to play the DVD program, but it failed failed to record from the Satellite receiver. In fact the satellite picture disappeared; could not view a satellite video or hear any sound.

I am connected to Cogeco which is a multimedia provider company. So I need to have the coax cable connected to TV either directly or indirectly. In this case it is connected indirectly via the DVD recorder.

I am sorry I am crowding you with all this nonsense of mine, however I will be grateful if you can resolve my problem.

Thanks

-

Mar 17, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Ok. Now I understand a little better.

Do you have a digital box from Cogeco? Or just their basic cable service (i.e. no digital box)?

If you do not have a digital box, follow these steps:

Connect Cogeco cable to ANT IN on LG.

Connect FTA to Audio In 1 and Video In 1 on the LG, using the appropriate cables.

Do not connect RF out to TV. Leave your current connections as I described in last post..

Leave the TV on Video 1.

Now by pressing the "Input" key on the LG remote, you can select from "Tuner"(Cogeco) or AV1 (FTA) or AV2 (Front panel connections), and the program should be displayed on the TV.

If I'm not mistaken, the LG will need to be ON, to watch FTA, even if your not recording.

So to watch FTA, select the LG input to AV1. Tune the channels using the FTA remote. :)

To watch TV, select the LG input to Tuner. Tune the channels using the LG remote. :)

Mar 18, 2007, 08:49 AM
    No I don't have cogeco digital box; only basic services.

Sorry to inform you that it is still not working. This time the DVD becomes the channel regulator; in other words it only displays TV programs, it does not display any satellite programs.

Just to make sure the connection arrangement layout as suggested are installed correctly; here's what I have now:

- Cogeco cable is connected to ANT IN on LG.

- FTA is connected to Audio In 1 and Video In 1 on the LG, using the appropriate cables.

- RF out to TV. Is not connected to TV.

- LG RCA connection outlets are connected to Video 1 and audio 1 on TV

Where do we go from here?

Don't you think the satellite receiver should also be connected to TV directly Somehow? (there is no second set of output RCA connections on the Satellite Receiver)

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Mar 18, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Have you pressed the "input" button on the LG remote? This should select the a/v connections that the FTA is connected to.

Mar 18, 2007, 03:30 PM
    No I didn't but as soon as I pressed the input on LG wow! It worked. What a relief.

Thanks buddy a million. You're a good instructor. Now I know where to go when I have an electronic problem. Not only you are good but your efforts to get the problem solved is relentless.

Cogratualations and thank you.

Mar 18, 2007, 06:11 PM
    No I didn't but when I did..Wallah! It worked like a charm. What a relief.

I just want to thank you for your relentless effort you have put forward to resolve this issue. For that I thank you wholeheartedly and and conratualte you for your patience and endurance for my pesky questions.

Mar 18, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Thanks for the kind words. Just to trying to share some knowledge. :)

Enjoy your setup...

Mar 23, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Hello HVAC888,

Can you tell me how to view one program and record another at the same time via my FTA satellite receiver and LG DVD Recorder?

Thanks

Mar 24, 2007, 10:01 AM
    You would need two FTA boxes, and split the satellite feed to each of the box. One box will connect to the recorder (current setup) and the other box connects directly to the TV.

I believe the LG can record one channel while viewing another, but ONLY using its built-in cable tuner (i.e. Cogeco channels only).

Mar 24, 2007, 05:18 PM
    You're absoultely correct about LG about its capability of recording one program and viewing the other at the same time. Its too bad I can't use its built in cable tuner on the satellite box.

I gues the other satellite receiver box would have to be of the same type. True or false?

Mar 24, 2007, 06:26 PM
    False. As long as it can tune the satellite channels, it can be any other brand or model. :)

Mar 25, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Thank you again for your pricise answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hook up of Satellite,Tv,DVD recorder [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Toshiba 51 projection TV hooked up to a Star Choice Satellite system. I want to hook up a vcr & dvd recorder. I have s-system cables, component cables(red blue green) and rca (yellow red white) cables to do the hook up but cannot figure it out.I did have a dvd/vhs recorder combo unit...

How do I connect a Directv satellite box to an LG DVD recorder [ 1 Answers ]

To the next genius out their... HELP! I need help connecting my Directv satellite box model HD-250 to my LG DVD recorder model DR1F9H in order to copy all of my tivo'd recordings on my Directv satellite. I also need to know how to connect an additional DVD player to my LG DVD recorder for coping my...

How do I connect a DVD Recorder to Satellite Box to HDTV? [ 1 Answers ]

Here's what I'm trying to connect: Phillips DVD Recorder Model DVDR3400 (which has 1 HDMI input) DirecTV HD Receiver (which also has 1 HDMI input) Panasonic Plasma HDTV Model TH-42PX60U (has 2 HDMI inputs) And this is what I have in the way of cables: 1 HDMI cable 1 component video...

Dvd/satellite receiver [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know how to hook up my dvd player through my satellite receiver. The TV does not have any place to plug the red, white, and yellow cords to but the satellite receiver does. I have connected the dvd player to the satellite receiver I just can't get a picture.

View more questions Search