Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leslee4269 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 03:16 PM
    GAIN weight with exercise
    Has anyone ever gained weight (not talking about muscle weight gain) when exercising? I have tried exercise programs numerous times and every single time I do, I gain weight. I have been walking on a treadmill for 30 min. at least 6 x a week, in addition to riding an exercise bicycle for 8-10 miles a day. I have been doing this for the past 4 months or so. I tried on pants I wore last year and this year they are too tight! I have gained at least 5 pounds and my measurements have went up. I don't understand it. My thyroid has been checked and I have been told it's "within normal range." I still feel my thyroid is the culprit but I can't get a doctor to give me thyroid meds. I eat healthy and my normal caloric intake is 1200-1500 per day. The calories are health ones though. I am not a junk food junkie. I also drink lots of water. I am 50 years old and had a total hysterectomy in 2003 and that's when the weight problem began. I am 5'1" and weigh between 135 and 140 pounds. Before I started this exercise regimen, my weight was pretty constant at 130. Anyone have any advice?
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leslee4269
    Has anyone ever gained weight (not talking about muscle weight gain) when exercising? I have tried exercise programs numerous times and every single time I do, I gain weight. I have been walking on a treadmill for 30 min. at least 6 x a week, in addition to riding an exercise bicycle for 8-10 miles a day. I have been doing this for the past 4 months or so. I tried on pants I wore last year and this year they are too tight! I have gained at least 5 pounds and my measurements have went up. I don't understand it. My thyroid has been checked and I have been told it's "within normal range." I still feel my thyroid is the culprit but I can't get a doctor to give me thyroid meds. I eat healthy and my normal caloric intake is 1200-1500 per day. The calories are health ones though. I am not a junk food junkie. I also drink lots of water. I am 50 years old and had a total hysterectomy in 2003 and that's when the weight problem began. I am 5'1" and weigh between 135 and 140 pounds. Before I started this exercise regimen, my weight was pretty constant at 130. Anyone have any advice?
    Well normally when women go through menopause, at the beginning and through the whole process, there is some weight gain, whether it be a normal meno or like yours through a hysterectomy, we gain weight, some gains can be a little as 2-4 pounds and others more. Unfortunately, weight gain occurs for us after 40, and definitely (I found out) after 50, no matter how well you exercise and eat, its caused by our sluggish metabolism, hormonal and metabolic changes. Cutting your caloric intake by even 100 calories could help, that's equal to a small snack). I wouldn't go under 1000 calories a day no matter what. Anything with more than 10 grams of sugar will hinder weight loss, so start reading nutritional labels. Eating nothing fried, no sugar, no sweetened fruit juice, soda, alcohol, catshup, mayo, fatty dressings, white bread, regular sourcream are some of the items to watch out for. Make sure your serving sizes are correct, 3 oz of meat, that's chicken, skinlees, loin type meats, pork or fish. And what your cooking with, use olive or canola oils, bake or broil. Small changes add up, don't give up hope, we all have this problem, it just a matter of readjusting a few items here and there. Fifty has not been friendly to me either and I was pretty slim all my life, and now 2 pounds here and there, keep showing up, we just have to keep trying!! :)
    Dogsareme Posts: 14, Reputation: 4

Mar 13, 2007, 11:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leslee4269
    Sometimes it is hard to tell if the thyroid is working right and it's not always detectable on the first test.
    After a hysterectomy it obvioulsy changes things within you and sometimes it does affect the thyroid. I would ask to be rechecked with another test just to double check that is not the problem. (my mom had to get it checked 3 times before they noticed it)
    leslee4269 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 04:58 AM
    Thanks for the tip. I've had it checked several times. I did visit a health food store this week and purchased some Thyroplex which is a thyroid supporter. We'll see if it helps. Not sure I like the ingredients - they all come from bovine (cow). I guess if I start having a craving for grass, I'll stop taking it. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Can I Gain Weight [ 2 Answers ]

How can I gain 10- 20 pounds within the next 2 weeks can someone help me are there any pills or anything I can do to gain weight

Weight gain [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, I just had my 6 month prenatal visit two days ago. I was a little surprised to hear my weight gain. Up until the 5th month I had only gained about 5-7 pounds. (started out at 120-125lbs)my fifth month I gained 6 pounds. And apparently this time I gained 9 pounds. I was shocked to have gained...

How to gain weight? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm about to turn 15 on December 22nd. I'm a male, 6 feet, 1 inch. I'm quite tall however I'm only 130 pounds. My parents both doctors don't have time to take me to a gym to work out plus they said that I'm too young to go to the gym. My mother carried me to a gym after I begged her about 2 months...

How Can I Gain Weight? [ 1 Answers ]

I Am 16 Years Old And Have A One Year Old Son. Before I Became Pregnant With Him I Weighed 115 Pounds. During The Pregnancy I Weighed 140 Pounds And I Now Weigh 104 Pounds. I Hate How Skinny I Look, I Hate The Way My Clothes Fit Me And I Have Never Had A Problem With The Way I Look But It Now Seems...

I need to gain weight [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 kids and I'm 5"tall and weight no more than 85 lbs.. I love food and I eat a lot.I'm not trying to lose weight cause I don't like to look skinny.. I can never gain weight and when I do I lose them after a while.. I've gain a lot of weight when I was pregnant but I lost it after I had the...

View more questions Search