Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikeshtnt Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 02:12 AM
    How to manage 100+ MB excel file
    Hi,

I have an excel file which is used as database of records for a year. As of now its size is 135MB and till Dec'12 I'll add data to this. But every time I open this file it takes too much time and sometimes it doesn't alow to save the changes made or hangs when try to execute some mass activity.

Please help what to do?

Regards,

Nikesh
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 19, 2012, 02:25 AM
    What version of Excel are you using ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2012, 02:31 AM
    Excel is NOT a database, transfer the data to a real database,

Oct 19, 2012, 02:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    What version of Excel are you using ?
    I use excel 2010

Oct 19, 2012, 02:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Excel is NOT a database, transfer the data to a real database,
    Thanks for suggestion but it is not posible because other users don't know to use the access.

Oct 19, 2012, 02:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikeshtnt View Post
    Thanks for suggestion but it is not posible because other users don't know to use the access.
    Not a good answer. I develop Access databases for a living. I've written a book on it. The vast majority of my users have no clue how to use Access. They don't need to. I create menus, data entry forms and reports that they can use to enter and extract the data. Your users don't even have to have the full version of Access. You can deploy the free runtime version for users.

Excel is a great tool but it has its limitations. When you run up against those limits you have to move on to a different tool.
    Rohin Arora Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Oct 19, 2012, 03:54 AM
    Right.. creating a database is the best method.make a user page with all the required fields for input and output.it will be a lot faster(your main problem solved).and it will be much more user friendly.

Oct 19, 2012, 03:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Not a good answer. I develop Access databases for a living. I've written a book on it. The vast majority of my users have no clue how to use Access. They don't need to. I create menus, data entry forms and reports that they can use to enter and extract the data. Your users don't even have to have the full version of Access. You can deploy the free runtime version for users.

Excel is a great tool but it has its limitations. When you run up against those limits you have to move on to a different tool.
    What you have written is right but unfortunately not sutailble to me.

Oct 19, 2012, 04:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikeshtnt View Post
    What you have written is right but unfortunatly not sutailble to me.
    Why? Because you don't have the skills to develop something? Then farm it out. There are plenty of Access consultants who can develop something for you and it may not be very expensive. But the bottom line is it's the only way to fix what you are dealing with other than chop the file into smaller pieces.
    Rohin Arora Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Oct 19, 2012, 04:23 AM
    Scott is right here.get it developed from outside.it will not cost much.we all need to increase the car size when the family size increases.
    If you still want to use excel,use different files for different months.That should sort things out for you.

Oct 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohin Arora View Post
    scott is right here.get it developed from outside.it will not cost much.we all need to increase the car size when the family size increases.
    If you still want to use excel,use different files for different months.That should sort things out for you.
    Thanks for your suggention.

I have got some alternatives..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Create a link in a pdf file for open an Excel file in an specific sheet and cell [ 2 Answers ]

I know how to create a hyperlink in a pdf file that opens an Excel file but I don't know how this link can opens the Excel file in a specific sheet and cell; any ideas?

Excel formula vs file location [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I created 2 MS Excel worksheets with VLookup formulas which worked fine. When the worksheets were opened on another computer the formulas added the formulas added the file locations to the formulas. i.e.. Instead of =VLOOKUP(A2,'[... it has =VLOOKUP(A2,'C:\Documents and Settings etc... Can...

How to convert a .wab-file into excel [ 9 Answers ]

I have the following problem: I have my contacts in groups in my outlook express contact list. I need this contacts, sorted by groups in cvs or excel. If I import them to e.g. Outlook I get the contacts, but not sorted in groups. I can save the groups as a .wab-file, but do I get them into excel?

Merging a Qucken File With Excel [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is possible to merge (or however you call it) a Quicken 6 document with an Excel spreadsheet? I would like to have what I put in Quicken available also in Excel. If that is not possible, is it possible to email a document from Quicken? And, how would you do that? I know...

View more questions Search