Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Soupquestion Posts: 11, Reputation: 4

Oct 18, 2012, 09:55 PM
    4 months of regular periods: Pregnant?
    My girlfriend has had 4 months of regular heavy bleeding since we last had unprotected sex. However, she has recently become very bloated and experiencing strange sensations in her abdomen. It's about halfway through her fifth monthly cycle, and I was wondering if it was bloating due to ovulation, or if she could be pregnant? What are the chances that she's pregnant?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 18, 2012, 09:59 PM
    Chances are slim that she is not pregnant. There are other more natural reasons for feeling "movement" in the abdomen other than pregnancy. If she is concerned, she needs to take a pregnancy test using first morning urine.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2012, 02:48 AM
    She could be bloating due to gas, or a 100 reasons having nothing to do with sex.

And no, she would not have had 4 periods since sex and be pregnant.
    But she can go to the doctor for a blood test to confirm.

Sounds like a bad case of nerves since having sex

Oct 23, 2012, 12:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Chances are slim that she is not pregnant. There are other more natural reasons for feeling "movement" in the abdomen other than pregnancy. If she is concerned, she needs to take a pregnancy test using first morning urine.
    Thanks for your reply. Her bloating hasn't seemed to have change in the past few days, and that strange sensation in her stomach has stopped for now as well. Not sure if its nerves or not, but I have noticed her going to the bathroom slightly more frequently in the past few days.

Anyway, she's going to take a pregnancy test in the next couple days. I'm going to try and calm myself down a bit. All my worrying seems to have worried her a bit, and that's not good. I can finally rest easy though if those pregnancy tests are negative though.

But on my original question, I've read so much about women having their periods and then suddenly being pregnant. I understand that it's not a TRUE period in that an egg drops, but how common is it for women to experience a period-like bleeding monthly?

Oct 23, 2012, 12:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    She could be bloating due to gas, or a 100 reasons having nothing to do with sex.

And no, she would not have had 4 periods since sex and be pregnant.
    But she can go to the doctor for a blood test to confirm.

Sounds like a bad case of nerves since having sex
    I'm hoping it's just nerves! I always seem to wig myself out over these things.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 23, 2012, 12:42 AM
    It's actually quite uncommon for a woman to bleed during pregnancy. When and if it happens there can be medical reasons for it, such as placenta previa. But that has to be diagnosed by a doctor.

Stop worrying until she gets a positive pregnancy test.

Take this as a lesson learned. If you are not ready to be a parent, abstain from sex.

Oct 23, 2012, 12:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It's actually quite uncommon for a woman to bleed during pregnancy. When and if it happens there can be medical reasons for it, such as placenta previa. But that has to be diagnosed by a doctor.

Stop worrying until she gets a positive pregnancy test.

Take this as a lesson learned. If you are not ready to be a parent, abstain from sex.
    Sage words, my friend. This has been way too much stress on me. Thanks for your response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Never had regular periods but last one was three months ago! [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 22 years old. I've never had regular periods but I haven't had one for three months and I'm worried. What symptoms are there for pregnancy? It's difficult for me to get a pregnancy test... Morning sickness? Anything?

Periods been gone for 2 1/2 months but not pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

My period been gone for 2 1/2 month this month will make my 3rd I got to the clinc but they tell me the same thing I'm not pregnant. I want to get a blood test and an ultrasound cause I do have some pain but its not bad pain and I'm trying to conceive who should I talk to or what should I do?

Regular periods than irregular period last month, Pregnant? [ 1 Answers ]

I was on the depo shot for many years. The last shot wore off in February of 2010. I was told that it could take up to a year for my hormones to regulate. My husband and I are trying to conceive our first child. From about February until August I have had very normal periods. I could actually...

How do you tell if your pregnant if you don't have regular periods? [ 1 Answers ]

OK, I haven't had a period since before this past June and I have had sex in the past month and we did use protection but I still haven't had a period since. So I was wondering one, can I even get pregnant if I haven't had a period in the long period and if I can, what are my chances of being...

View more questions Search