Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Mar 11, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Plastic cabinet,parts
    I have very old cabinets that were made in the 60's I think. They are in relativily good shape but the drawer slides are plastic pins mounted on the frame.I need info if I can source some of these or can I make some? I did try making some from wood but would like the real thing.thanks in advance
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 02:00 PM
    If you would like the real thing, you might like to take the parts that you want to replace to a local, neighborhood hardware store. You'd get the most help there. Or to someplace like Home Depot, Menards or a Lowe's store.

There aren't many furniture parts like drawer slides or glides that cannot be found.

If the parts need to be really small, then making them out of wood probably is not going to work. However, if you can use something like a one-half inch dowel or larger it is likely that making them out of wood will work.

If you have a bench grinder you can make the sides of a dowel flat very easily if that is what you need to do.

If no bench grinder, then if you have a vise, then you can use a wood file.

Any kind of soap or beeswax can be used to lubricate slides or guides.

You can drill pilot holes in the dowels in which to put screws or nails so that the slides can be affixed to the sides of the cabinet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cabinet hinge locator [ 1 Answers ]

I have this picture of 1/2 of a hinge that I have and would like to locate. The upper half is just like a hinge I need and the bottom half of the hinge I need is the same, not like the picture. The hinge I need has the disks that insert into dadoes in the frame and the door. If this is...

Under kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I bought two sets of touch sensitive under cabinet kitchen light set put them in but one set keeps flashing then stops all together I've replaced the transformer and the touch switch but the wires in the six port connector, when you move the wires there the light go out two which one you touch ....

Two parts: moving toilet over 4" and connecting to 4" black plastic to make shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi friends, I have a concrete slab foundation. In one full bath, I'm changing out the tub to put in a sauna tub, going from 60x30 to 60x32. The toilet is right next to the tub, so I want to move the toilet over at least 4" and change the sink to a pedastal sink to make room for the move for...

Kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I've purchased hampton bay under cabinet lighting and the sets are limited to up to 200watts. If I have 2 sets can I splice the 3 setting dimmer switch to activate the 2 mutiple outlet strips?

View more questions Search