Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cameron005 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
    Is the site a real site or spam?
    I was on a website when suddenly I got redirected to a site with a photo of a police officer on. It said my computer had been blocked and that I may have broken a copy right law. It listed all the laws.

However my computer was not blocked as when I restarted it nothing came up. However my skype camera was automtically activated and you could see me just stariing at my laptop. This really has scared me.

S the site an actual site or is it spam as my computer was not blocked and my Skype camera was automatically activated?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2012, 08:54 AM
    It's spam, likely done to make you buy some sort of security software that will end up being malware or use your CC info.
    cameron005 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2012, 10:18 AM
    Thanks for your answer :) I have now renewed my virus software with a different software company.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 18, 2012, 10:23 AM
    God yes that is really scary and an absolute wake up call when your Skype camera is turned back on you. Especially first thing in the morning before a shower! Ugh
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2012, 11:06 AM
    Thanks for your answer I have now renewed my virus software with a different software company.
    Most of us "expert" Windows users are all using Microsoft's free AV: Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows
    karengrimes94 Posts: 102, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2012, 09:52 PM
    It's a spam website stay alert from such websites.
    Have anti-virus software program which will protect your system from web threats and other security issues.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2012, 02:49 AM
    More fear that it down loaded a virus, I would run some cleaners to check it out
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 20, 2012, 05:07 AM
    You need to run a virus check on your computer. There is a virus out there dubbed the FBI virus. It an be pretty nasty as it is hijack ware. It attempts to lock your computer for a supposed ransome. Do not ever send money based on something out of fear. Always verify.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove a site from restricted when site not listed? [ 1 Answers ]

I inadvertently added a site to the restricted site list now I require that site back but when I go back into the restricted site list In IE Tools, Security,Restricted Site list it is not listed so therefor I can't re install the said site

Is there a totally free site and secure site to download from [ 1 Answers ]

First time doing this mp4 player type is craig

How can I randomise images in a site to be linked via html coding for another site? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am mesmerised. How do Flickr, mybloglog, Facebook and numerous other sites update their badges eberytime the information is updated? Someone told me it is done with js. I hava a wordpress.com blog, which means I am not allowed to use javascript there. So I have to link my images updated...

View more questions Search