Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dspanogle Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2005, 10:38 PM
    venting sideways?
    Me again. Owner builder in design stage of log cabin. In the basement, along one wall (which I can fur out if need be) l want a sink, toilet and shower. In rooms not along exterior walls I want a washer and another sink. I have a 'utility closet' for the water heater, well pressure tank and ejector system. Floor will be a slab. The lay out is like this:

-- cement retaining wall - log wall above-----
    | vent.. sewage... |vent... sink... toilet... shower|
    | up 1.. ejector... |up 2
    |... utility closet.|... bath
    | door ---wall ---- door -------wall ---------- |
    |... washer... sink 2

The only 'nice' place for the vent(s) is at 'vent up 1' or 'vent up 2' (Go up cement retaining wall (furred) into walls in main level then to roof) This is only path to hide the vents in the main floor and loft of cabin.
    *distance from shower drain to 'vent up 2' is 10 feet
    *distance from toilet to 'vent up 2' is 5 feet
    * sink 1 to 'vent up 2' is 3 feet
    *distance from 'vent up 2 to vent up 1 is 10 feet.
    *the washer drain inlet is 6 feet from the retaining wall and 6 feet from left wall and is on/in an interior wall.
    * 'sink 2' is 6 feet from retaining wall and 9 feet to 'vent up 2' and is also on an interior wall.
    The ejector can go anywere in the 10 X 6 'utility closet' along with a well pressure tank, and H/W Heater. I was thinking I may need a floor drain near water heater or washer.
    QUESTIONS:
    1. How many vents do I need - and where?
    2. Can the 'vents' be routed 'sideways' in some manner the distances I need before they go 'up'? Is there a general guideline for sideways vs up? I think I saw somewhere about 45 degrees if 6" above fixture but not enough details to know what to do.
    3. Do I want or need a floor drain near water heater or washer?
    4. How do I route the drains (what sequence) to get all this into one ejector tub inlet?
    I do not need a 'design' - just enough to let me know I can use this layout without my future plumbing contractor telling me it will not work. I.E. can a plumber make the drains and vents for this work without a big problem?

Again, Thanks in advance for your help.
    Dennis
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 12, 2005, 07:14 AM
    Hey Dennis,
    -- cement retaining wall - log wall above-----
    | vent.. sewage... |vent... sink... toilet... shower|
    | up 1.. ejector... |up 2
    |... utility closet.|... bath
    | door ---wall ---- door -------wall ---------- |
    |... washer... sink 2
    I realize you can see this in your minds eye but I"m having a little problem with my minds eye. How about a diagram, complete with dimensions and measurements?
    Let me give you code on the distance from fixture trap to vent.
    Fixture Drain Size Distance of Trap to Vent
    1 1/4" 2' 6"
    1 1/2" 3' 6"
    2" 5' 0"
    3" 6" 0"
    4" 10' 0"
    Don't overload the system with a lot of unnecessary stuff like a floor drain.

QUESTIONS:
    1. How many vents do I need - and where?
    2. Can the 'vents' be routed 'sideways' in some manner the distances I need before they go 'up'? Is there a general guideline for sideways vs up? I think I saw somewhere about 45 degrees if 6" above fixture but not enough details to know what to do.
    3. Do I want or need a floor drain near water heater or washer?
    4. How do I route the drains (what sequence) to get all this into one ejector tub inlet?

(1) You're asking me to lay out a job without a blueprint to go by. If I give you my E-mail addy can you send me one?
    (2) Good news on this one. A vent is a vent as long as you give it 1/4" to the foot on a horizontal run and nothing drains into it.
    (3) No, but code, (if you're pulling a permit) might require a heater pan with a 3/4" drain.
    (4) Depends on the ejector system, but as a rule the fixtures will discharge into a main that then discharges into the ejector system.
    More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom

Jan 12, 2005, 01:33 PM
    Thanks, You have answered my main concern - "I can route vents along (thru) walls and around corners as long as 1. go up at least 1/4" per foot and nothing drains in them." So I think this thing can be vented! The other parts: how to lay this out to get it all in the ejector tub I am still a little confused on. I will try to send a blue print (I guess that will be an e-print) of basement and foor (walls) above if you would be so kind as to do me a quick sketch or description of how the drains and vents might be laid out. I think I can up load the sketches (new to the forum) Let me get on that next..
    Also, I think code will require the pan under heater. So where does the pan drain go? (into sewage ejector?) ( that is why I thought I needed a 'floor' drain. By the way, this is new construction so I can move things if I need to.

Sketches next.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 12, 2005, 01:49 PM
    New construction
    Hey Dennis,
    If you wish to E mail the drawing my addy is, [email protected]
    I'll send you a lay out when you send me the position of the fixtures and the measures. A heater pan is a plastic pan that goes under the heater and will drain into the tank but will never be used unless the boiler ruptures. A floor drain would be nice but not necessary.. Will this job be inspected? Cheers, Tom

Jan 12, 2005, 02:33 PM
    Sketch is on the way to your e-mail. Yes this will be inspected. It is a new construction and I have yet to hire the Plumbing subcontractor who will get permits and handle inspections. I understand about the pan under heater. Most have the drain to the pan routed outside somewhere or over to a vent pipe.. I think that would be my plan. Put the heater on an 18" shelf and run pan drain to vent for ejector. You will see when get my plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

How many fixtures can be tapped into the main vent? I have a 2" main vent.

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , In the basement , there is a mechanical vent on a bathtub wich tells me its not vented by the main stack. Could the tub be changed to a shower stall. Also wich size drain should the shower stall be?

Sideways Water Heater? [ 2 Answers ]

My water heater is in my crawl space. It is electric. There is only room for a "lowboy" water heater and they max out at 50 gallons. I was wondering if I could mount a bigger electric water heater sideways or on a slant? Thanks, Ron

Venting Thanks [ 7 Answers ]

Spent last 3 hrs reading threads, trying to answer my questions. Thank you for this site! I am working on new construction. I would like to confirm some things I think I learned on this site. Please answer T/F. If False please fix me. 1 every fixture w/trap needs vented. EX tub lav toilet...

View more questions Search