Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shasankm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2012, 11:42 PM
    Withholding of Taxes for a Green Card holder residing Outside US
    Hi

I'm a Greed Card holder and now I'm working and residing in India. My employer pays me Salary in India and withholds income tax in India.

I travel to US occasionally on Business Trips, does my employer have to withhold taxes for the trips. I receive no compensation in US, everything is received in India.

If the employer is liable to withhold taxes, could you tell whether the employer is liable to pay State Income tax and for which state does he have to withdhold

Please advise.

Thank
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 18, 2012, 06:43 AM
    As a green card holder, you are required to file annual U.S. income tax returns on all world-wide income, not just the income earned in the United States. Your employer has NO requirement to withhold income taxes.

Due to the combination of the Foreign Tax Credit (for Indian income taxes) and the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, it is likely you owe NO taxes to the United States, but you still must file the tax return,
    shasankm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2012, 10:01 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. It was very helpful.

I would like to add one more point - My employer pays me Perdiem allowance during my trips. Is that going to change the withholding liability of the employer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 19, 2012, 06:16 AM
    No, not at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift Taxes from a US Green Card holder [ 5 Answers ]

My mother lives overseas, but has a US green card, has decided to help with my home renovations and will be sending money in installments to help out. Amount will be around $50K per year for around 5 years. 1. Since she has a green card does that mean she has to pay US gift taxes? If Yes,...

Can I claim my parent with US green card residing in a foreign country as dependent? [ 4 Answers ]

My parents are US permanent residents (green card holders). However, they resided in a foreign county for the entire year 2011, supported by me. Can I claim them as my dependents on my tax return?

Igot married to green card holder girl how could I get a green card? [ 3 Answers ]

I got married to green card holder girl of usa, how could I get a green card?

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

View more questions Search