Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daniigurl Posts: 75, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2012, 08:13 PM
    Alcohol & breastfeeding
    My son is six weeks old, I exclusively breastfeed and wonder a lot about this topic, while id never breastfeed intoxicated, does drinking alcohol effect your breastmilk even after you are no longer intoxicated? For instance, is it okay to have a glass or two of wine or drink a beer or two if you breastfeed or should you refrain from consuming any amount of alcohol until you stop nursing?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 08:21 PM
    My doctor told me (a long time ago), that a breast feeding mom should have no more than one glass of wine/beer , and not more than once a week. Wait at least two hours after consuming alcohol before breast feeding. New moms feel free to update, of course.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
    LaLeche League told me I could drink as much beer as I wanted when breastfeeding, but the beer had to be non-pasteurized European beer.

Here is an article on beer and wine drinking from their site:

LLLI | Alcohol and Motherhood
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2012, 12:06 AM
    Best over all, don't drink, most feel it has an effect on the milk. Why take a chance with the babies health over a few drinks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Alcohol and breastfeeding [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old baby boy and for sometime I stopped producing milk so I had some wine for few days then suddenly I started producing milk again. Is it OK for me to breastfeed and if not is there away that I can start again, I really want my baby to have my milk. Please help

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if...

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering... I have a 7 month old who I am breastfeeding. I haven't had any alcohol of any kind (not that I ever drank much anyway) and my sisters want to take me out this weekend. I was wondering, now that he sleeps through the night am I able to go out and have like 4 drinks with them if...

Breastfeeding and alcohol [ 2 Answers ]

View more questions Search