Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scoren76 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2012, 05:13 AM
    Riddle solver
    I have $100 to buy 100 animals. 1 cow costs $5, 1 sheep costs $1 and 1 pig costs 5 cents?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 17, 2012, 05:18 AM
    Do you have a question then?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 17, 2012, 05:56 AM
    There are two solutons to this, where you spend precisely $100 to buy precisley 100 animals. One of the answers is immediately obvious; the other less so.

Oct 17, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Its an algebra question, its 20 years since I done algebra. The question is already there, a hundred dollars to buy a hundred animals and the prices are there, and you have to have 1 of each.

Oct 17, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    There are two solutons to this, where you spend precisely $100 to buy precisley 100 animals. One of the answers is immediately obvious; the other less so.
    Yes , you need to use all the money and buy at least one of each animal.. I just forget how to use algebra
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 18, 2012, 05:45 AM
    You don't really need algebra, just logic. It's not that complicated. Think about this - if you buy any pigs at all you must buy then in multiples of 20, or else you can't get the total spend to be in whole dollars. And then the number of sheep you buy added to what you spent on pigs must come to a multiple of 5. So my suggestion is to see what happens if you buy 0 pigs, then try 20 pigs, Then 40, etc.up to 100. Like I said before - there are two solutions to this puzzle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riddle solver [ 7 Answers ]

There are three boxes, a box containing two gold coins, a box with two silver coins and a box with one of each. After pulling out one gold coin from one of the boxes, that is % chance that the next coin from that same box will be gold

Riddle solver [ 1 Answers ]

Anna was older than her sister, but Anna’s sister was born before her. How is this possible?

Riddle solver? [ 0 Answers ]

The mansion of the Lord has many rooms, But paths to some are few and guarded too,

View more questions Search