Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovelymoni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2012, 07:10 PM
    Pharmacy violation hipaa
    So I picked up my sons prescription from my local pharmacy, and they relabeled the pt information very sloppy where I could see some information.The previous patient address and phone number were on the label and I informed the pharmacy because I thought I don't want a stranger having my information. And the pharmacy just blew off my call and said that is their normal procedure to relabel bottles? So my question is do you guys think I should report this and if so who would I report this to?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 07:14 PM
    I would think that they would not relabel bottle.

But what info did you see. Could you see full patient name and medication being taken?
    lovelymoni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2012, 07:19 PM
    I saw the childs' name, address, phone number, medication, dosage.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 17, 2012, 03:47 AM
    I've never heard of a pharmacy relabelling bottles. But yes, if they revealed the name and medication of another patient to you, I would think it is a HIPAA violation.

You can report this at the HIPAA website. How To File a Complaint
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Oct 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
    I agree with Scott. Please do report it; that is NOT acceptable practice for a pharmacy. It sounds like a pathetic attempt at cost savings.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 23, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Before you file a complaint, please tell the pharmacy that you don't want it done and will report it. The complaint could take as much as 2 years to even be seen, but can be disaster for the druggist, who might be filling a lot of Medicaid prescriptions and even giving out free meds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violation at Pharmacy? [ 10 Answers ]

I've gone to the same pharmacy for a few years, now. It's a chain of grocery stores local to my area. I have had numerous occasions when they have given me medicine names before verifying my identity. Example: Hi, I'm Mike Smith and I have some prescriptions ready. Response: Yes, sir. I see we have...

HIPAA Violation in Pharmacy [ 5 Answers ]

I was at Target yesterday and inquired why one of my prescriptions was not filled. The technician said one second and went to talk to the pharmacist. She was speaking from the back of the pharmacy and said Mr. Bowman I see where this presription (the actual name) and this prescription (actual...

Can I sue a pharmacy for a HIPAA law violation? [ 2 Answers ]

Cvs pharmacy gave 3 months of my scripts to someone else. They never called me the person did.. so I called there corproarte office its been going round and round. They say oh sorry human error... can I sue ?

Hipaa violation in pharmacy [ 2 Answers ]

I work as a technician in a pharmacy, and made a counting error. While I was on break, my manager printed out the flow of who typed it followed by their name, who filled it, I was going to resign. I packed up everything in my cubby along with that paper he printed out and hung up. I have since...

Can I ask for damages for a pharmacy hipaa violation [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know if I can sue or ask for damages from a pharmacy that violated hipaa law

View more questions Search