Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gloria gibson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
    Report landlord to better business bureau
    My lanlord won't return my security deposit and there's no reason why!paid rent on time for the whole lease and I want it back!!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 16, 2012, 11:22 AM
    What state?
    Most states allow a landlord 30 days from the day your lease ends to return a deposit, and it must be postmarked no later than that day.
    You can then sue in court, whether small claims or other civil court, and some states allow for double the amount to be awarded.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
    Reporting a landlord to the Better Business Bureau is a waste of time. Tell us the state where the property is located and we will tell you how much time the landlord is allowed by law to return the deposit. If the landlord does not return the deposit, or a written explanation of how the deposit was applied within that time then you can sue them and may be entitled to a judgment for double or triple that amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file a landlord complaint with the Better Business Bureau? [ 5 Answers ]

I am in court now, I am suing my landlord for my security deposit, only gave one-third of it, I want to report and place them with the Better Business Bureau. How do I inform potential tenants of this particular landlord?

What can landlords report to the credit bureau? [ 0 Answers ]

I am having a dispute with my landlord over who should be responsible for bed bug termination. I have never been late with my rent nor have I been evicted. I do however have a balance to pay on extermination fees for bed bugs. It is not specified in my lease that I am responsible for the...

Filing complaint on landlord with better business bureau [ 3 Answers ]

Was renting and the landlord refuses to give back all of my security deposit

How to report a jugdement to the credit bureau [ 1 Answers ]

How do you go about putting a judgement on a credit bureau report?

View more questions Search