Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EvelynDenisse Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2012, 09:48 AM
    Chest pain that wakes me up for 5 nights consecutively...
    Hi! I'm a female, 24 years old. I've had stomach pain for about a week and a half that doesn't go away, belching, sensitivity to sweet scents & lack of appetite. Went to ER because I've been woken up for the past 5 nights with chest pain, but the doctor said it might be acid reflux & gave me Omeprazol & another medication. When the chest pain wakes me up, I sit in my bed and rub my chest afraid of dying. My hands get sweaty and I can feel my heart pumping. I don't have acidic taste in my mouth when that happens. It's important to mention that I only experience this pain suddenly while I sleep & wakes me up (I don't experience chest pain throughout the day). Can acid reflux cause these symptoms? I jump rope & do cardio without chest pain, it only happens when I'm sleeping at night. Additional info: My heart sounds normal, my blood pressure is 110/70 & my resting heart rate is 67, I took it while still in bed. Thank you!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 09:54 AM
    It could be heart related or gall bladder or any number of things. Go back to the doctor or to a different one for a second opinion.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Yes, acid reflux will do that. Don't expect a taste in your mouth from that. From your description, BP, heart rate is normal, you were to the doctor, so don't look for ailments that aren't there. If you are active cardio, I doubt it is your heart. Is there heart disease in your family?

Take a look at what you eat, keep a diary of it and use process of elimination.

Oct 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Yes, acid reflux will do that. Don't expect a taste in your mouth from that. From your description, BP, heart rate is normal, you were to the doctor, so don't look for ailments that aren't there. If you are active cardio, I doubt it is your heart. Is there heart disease in your family?

Take a look at what you eat, keep a diary of it and use process of elimination.

Good afternoon!

No, there's no heart disease in my family, just diabetes. I just get worried by the fact that my heart is pounding so fast when the pain episodes happen. Maybe the pain activates my Sympathetic Nervous System to that point. When I went to the ER, the doctor just asked me questions without doing physical examination, nor exams. I hope all this gets better with time & nothing bad happens to me. Thanks for the advice.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 02:17 PM
    You can't go to another doctor in private practice?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 02:19 PM
    You would be surprised how we can do a physical exam without even laying our hands on you.

Now, you say that your heart is pounding when this happens. What is your pulse when this happens? Can you feel your heart pounding?

Just because your blood pressure is normal doesn't mean that there isn't something underlying going on.

Oct 16, 2012, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It could be heart related or gall bladder or any number of things. Go back to the doctor or to a different one for a second opinion.

Thank you! I will look for second opinion.

Oct 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You would be surprised how we can do a physical exam without even laying our hands on you.

Now, you say that your heart is pounding when this happens. What is your pulse when this happens? Can you feel your heart pounding?

Just because your blood pressure is normal doesn't mean that there isn't something underlying going on.
    The last time it happened it was 103 bpm & felt every beat without touching my chest. Feels as if you were running & stopped (you can feel it pounding). I was cooking oatmeal for breakfast & had to go & sit down for several minutes until it slowed down. I'm a med student, so I carry my stethoscope everywhere I go as if I suspected something bad is going on with my heart. I'm not in the US at the moment, that's why I always look for help somewhere else.
    Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 02:27 PM
    Any shortness of breath?

When you went to the hospital did they do an ekg?

Oct 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Any shortness of breath?

When you went to the hospital did they do an ekg?
    No, I was expecting them to make an EKG, but they didn't. My doctor said that just by having acid reflux it might feel like a heart attack & cause all of those symptoms. Lack of breath, I have from time to time, but don't know if happens because of my allergic rhinitis. I'm mostly congested...
    Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
    Acid reflux can feel like a heart attack, but a heart attack can also feel like acid reflux.

In my facility anyone of any age who comes in with chest pain gets an ekg and 325mg of chewed non-enteric coated aspirin within 10 minutes of arrival, as well as the necessary labwork: troponin and myoglobin.

You definitely need to seek a second opinion as soon as possible.

Oct 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
    Acid reflux can feel like a heart attack, but a heart attack can also feel like acid reflux.

In my facility anyone of any age who comes in with chest pain gets an ekg and 325mg of chewed non-enteric coated aspirin within 10 minutes of arrival, as well as the necessary labwork: troponin and myoglobin.

You definitely need to seek a second opinion as soon as possible.
    Thank you very much! It's very nice of you to give me advice. I really appreciate it. I will let you all know how everything goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can be done for chest pain feels like my heart going to break threw my chest [ 2 Answers ]

I was sleeping I woke up to take some pain pills for my back. Two hours later I woke back up and it feels like my chest going to explode

Chest and arm pain [ 3 Answers ]

I put my right arm across my chest towards my left shoulder and I got a sharp pain near my heart , down the middle of my chest and at the top of my right shoulder what does this mean?

Left sided groin pain + dizziness and infrequent chest pain [ 1 Answers ]

I started having pain in the left side of my groin yesterday, it's painful to sit, walk, stand and then today I took my mom to church and during church I had dizziness and severe chest pain. I was able to drive us home luckily, I had another episode of the chest pain when we got to her house and...

What does my chest pain mean [ 1 Answers ]

Every now and then I get what feels like a rush of blood through my heart.. like my heart is trying really hard to push the blood through for a second.. it doesn't last long.. but it is scaring me and makes me very nervous. I'm only 17 please help! What is this!

View more questions Search