Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LeFemmeSimone Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2012, 07:46 PM
    What to do with my cats while I move
    I am moving and want to prevent as much stress as I can for my cats. They hate people, but the question I am struggling with is will they be less stressed in their regular home environment with our company while people pack our house, or less stressed being alone in a new, unfamiliar place? We are packing one day and traveling 1hr/ unpacking the next day.

PLAN 1: Close cats off in my bedroom at my current home with a 'do not disturb' sign while movers pack up the house all day. We will sleep at our current home with cats and then drive to the new house with cats and furniture in the morning. Cats will then be put in a bathroom while movers unload the truck. *downside is there will be a lot of people in their space making noise and changing things around while they pack and unpack.

... OR...

PLAN 2: Move cats to new house the day(evening time) before the movers come to pack. We sleep on the floor with cats in the new house. Humans leave in the morning to meet the movers to pack up the old house (all day project) while the cats are left alone, closed off in the new house. Humans return to new house at end of day and sleep on floor with cats. In the morning, humans return to old home and wrap up loose ends and travel back with the movers who will then unload. *downside is cats are alone in unfamiliar place and they still have to deal with people who unpack.

We're less concerned about what we have to do. We just want things to go smoothly for our kitties. Any advice or tips are welcome - Thank you :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 01:30 AM
    Is there a plan 3, they go to a cat spa, pampered for a couple of days, and you go get them and take them to knew home?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 16, 2012, 04:08 AM
    Definitely plan 1.
    Many reasons, starting with being in familiar house rather than alone in unfamiliar place.
    Movers don't always show up on time either.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
    I'd have to agree Plan 1 sounds like your best bet.
    I've moved cats a few times and this is pretty much how I did it.
    They will be a little stressed and unnerved either way.
    But taking them over and then having to leave them will be too much for them.
    What I always did also, was to leave the carriers open on the floor until they were ready to venture out on their own, I remember 1 cat in particular who stayed in his carrier for 3 days and only came out to eat, drink and use the litterbox, once he settled in he was fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making outdoor cats indoor cats [ 3 Answers ]

I've had my 2 female cats Sox and Princess since they were born. Which must have been 7 years ago now. All Sox's life she has been indoor/outdoor. Princess has been indoor/outdoor except for about a year of her life when someone stole her, they claimed to have kept her indoors. I'm 18 years old...

Older cats ganging up on newer cats [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have two 14 year old cats, I recently introduced two 4 year old sisters. We attempted to "introduce" them correctly. Over the last week or so, one of the older cats stalks and corners either of the younger cats with the other older cat joining in for good measure. The noise is terrifying....

3 old cats vs the 3 new cats in the home [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there All, I've been in my apartment for awhile with my 3 cats. Now, my friend is moving in and bringing 3 more cats with her. While hers were still in their carriers, there was a lot of hissing and shackles raised. Friend's cats will be upstairs for awhile. We would like to know the time for...

My cats are aggressive to the other cats. [ 3 Answers ]

I have 5 cats, but 2 of them (both girls) are very aggressive towards the others. I'm a bit worried because they keep beating up on my kitten... So far she's got a torn ear, a chunk out of her leg, several scratches, and very uneven fur. I locked them into my room to avoid trouble, but is there an...

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

View more questions Search