Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breadman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Wired wrong
    I have a 200 amp service a 50amp breaker outside and a 50amp gfi inside it trips the breaker outside not the gfi that is close to the tub don't know why the watts are 1500@120 and 6000@240 it says that a 50amp is the biggest one I need. Do I need a solid ground from the tub to the outside box?help me please
    jettataxidrvr Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Mar 11, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by breadman
    i have a 200 amp service a 50amp breaker outside and a 50amp gfi inside it trips the breaker outside not the gfi that is close to the tub dont know why the watts are 1500@120 and 6000@240 it says that a 50amp is the biggest one i need. do i need a solid ground from the tub to the outside box?help me please
    Have you tested the GFI. If it is not working properly then replace it. You need a solid ground from everything to everything.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2007, 11:45 AM
    I get from your description is the 50 amp GFI breaker at the main panel does not trip, and a standard 50 amp breaker at the tub does trip.

If so, then the outdoor breaker may be defective, or there is a loose connection on the Line or Load side of the breaker. A loose connection at a breaker will cause heat, and the heat will migrate into the breaker and cause the thermal trip unit to activate, giving a nuisance trip for no apparent reason.

The circuit feed the tub should be four wire, with the two hots, 1 neutral, and 1 equipment ground, from the panel to the green screw or lug at the tub control box. At the service disconnect at the tub, the neutral should be insulated and isolated from the equipment ground, and the equipment ground both from the panel and the tub should connect to a lug directly connect to the panel's metal box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing 2 wired thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Our old thermostat for the heater has 2 wires only. They are both black. The new thermostats have 3 or more colored wires. What should we buy to replace our now broken thermostat that is easy to install without calling an electrician to change the wiring?:eek:

Windows XP, 2 NICs (1 wired, 1 wireless) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a weird setup of: --------- > > > Wireless > > >------Wired------- But whenever compB is connected to compC compB cannot access the internet. All computers are running Windows xp Pro. Any ideas how I let CompB and CompC access the internet at the same time? Bridging on CompB...

Removing hard wired smoke alarm [ 2 Answers ]

Mcsteph here again. I wish to remove a hard wired smoke detector but cannot find the fuse that switches it off. Is there a fuse or is it always on? Either way, how do I remove it without smelling like burnt pork? TKRussell? anyone?:confused:

Wired router configuration [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a PC running XP Pro and I am using a Network Everywhere Cable/DSL 4 port router (NR041). It is configured and I have only one problem. I use a bittorrent client, which to make a long story short, allows me to download and upload files (music, movies, etc.) If my router is not configured...

Improperly Wired? [ 7 Answers ]

Wanting my new digital thermostat to run off the 'C' 24 vac common instead of batteries I opened my Thermal Zone (#ah368-1s) electric furnace door panel. I have been unable to find any details online about that specific unit, but there is a wiring diagram inside. The low voltage for the...

View more questions Search