Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pavitra Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Resident Alien - Foreign Tax Credit
    Query 1 :-
    I came to US (first time) on 2nd April 2006 on L1 with my wife. I am in US since then. I believe my status will be resident alien. For Jan to March 2006, I have Indian Income (Salary) & Indian tax deducted on the same. How should I mention the deducted Indian tax while filing federal return? Does any software support Foreign Tax Credit feature ?

Query2:-
    I am in the state of Louisiana since the time (April 2006), I arrived in US. In this case, will I be considered part year or full year resident of Louisiana? Does foreign income/tax has to be mentioned for filing State tax also?
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 11, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Actually you are dual status (and should file a dual status return -- see publication 519). BUT you may elect to be residents for the full year in which case you must report your income from India as well (and yes, then claim a foreign tax credit).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 10:32 PM
    Another great answer by TaxSearcher!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st year as a resident alien under L1 visa - Foreign Income / Medicare Taxes [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We arrived together with my wife and my son March 1st 2006 on a L-1 visa (L-2 for my wife and my son). Before this date, we were resident of France. Our stay in the US could be from 1 to 3 years (could end this year or next year). After that, we will be again resident of France. Our stay...

Non resident alien foreign trust return required [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there Just wondered if you are able to help with two questions I have an investment account with a brokerage firm, where I buy and sell shares, receive dividends from US listed and non US listed companies (on the stocjk exchanges). My account was setup as a complex foreign trust with my...

H1 (Resident Alien) and H4 (NR Alien) joint tax problem [ 7 Answers ]

I have been in the US since 2003 and have filed as a NON-Resident Alien for the tax year 2005 (I was a student). My H1B started Jan 1, 2006 and I got married on Aug 28th 2006. My wife joined me on my way back on a H4 visa. I know that we can both file as a Resident Aliens. 1. Is our STD...

Resident or Non-resident Alien for tax year 2006? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been in the US since 20th January 2006 and am on the payroll of my company since July 2006 , for the purpose of filling Tax returns for the year 2006 , am I a resident Alien or a non-resident alien?

Fox Tax: Resident or Non Resident Alien [ 7 Answers ]

I came us on L1 Visa on 22nd July 2006 along with My wife & Son . I am working for Indian compony and we have US subsidiary.. In US, my US company is paying me the salary. My family went t back to india 29th Oct 2006 and I am still here and will be going in early Feb 07. I also visited US on...

View more questions Search