Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    digerdo2 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Reasonable priced Hardwire Smoke Detectors
    Can you give out this type of information.

I need to replace my ESL Model #709-2.

Wire colors are as follows:
    Pigtail connector top to bottom... yellow, black, green, white.
    Are these standard colors.

Do I have to match the Pigtail connector to the new smoke detector?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Glenda
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
    Yes, that is standard. Black is hot, white is neutral, green is ground and.yellow is the traveler wire connecting them together. We typically install Firex and all their connectors are the same, even among different models.

Oct 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Yes, that is standard. Black is hot, white is neutral, green is ground and.yellow is the traveler wire connecting them together. We typically install Firex and all their connectors are the same, even among different models.
    So you are saying Firex good brand. Will it have a pigtail connector or will I need to connect it directly to the wires in the wall using those screw on things.
    Sorry the name just went out of my head :)

Thanks for the info so fast.

Glenda
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2012, 08:28 PM
    Firex is a good brand, UL approved. It will have pig tails on the connector. If the old ones don't connect directly you can use them. If not you will need to use the wire nuts. -the screw on things! I have used Firex for 15 years and never had an issue. Why are you replacing yours?

Oct 16, 2012, 08:05 PM
    It is so old. And it is chirpping like a bird even though I disconnected the pigtail connector. It won't stop chirpping. So I assume it's gone.

Thanks for the info. Will look into Firex.

Glenda
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2012, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by digerdo2 View Post
    It is so old. And it is chirpping like a bird even tho I disconnected the pigtail connector. It won't stop chirpping. So I assume it's gone.

thanks for the info. Will look into Firex.

Glenda
    Did you replace the battery? Even though it is hard wired it has a battery backup. When connected you should see a constant green diode light and a periodically flashing red one.

Oct 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
    Did you replace the battery? Even though it is hard wired it has a battery backup. When connected you should see a constant green diode light and a periodically flashing red one.
    There is no green diode light. Where would the battery be. I sure don't see one.
    ESL Model 709-2 The instruction booklet seems to be for another model.

Energizing Detector
    "The detector is energized by turning on the power to the detector circuit and placing cover on the detector. As the cover is put in place, a subdued red light will come on. This light is always lit during normal operation".

I have the cover off and the pigtail connector pulled out and it still chirps.

Glenda
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2012, 03:02 PM
    So it sounds like you have a hard wired unit only that is tied to all of the others. Are all wires connected when the connector is in place? By that I particularly mean the yellow one. Code today requires hard wired and battery backup so if power fails you still have a battery. The Firex unit I typically use is a Model 4618 with a front battery compartment. . Google that for details. If it is still beeping after being disconnected for this long, I think there is a battery somewhere..

Oct 19, 2012, 04:39 PM
    So it sounds like you have a hard wired unit only that is tied to all of the others. Are all wires connected when the connector is in place? By that I particularly mean the yellow one. Code today requires hard wired and battery backup so if power fails you still have a battery. The Firex unit I typically use is a Model 4618 with a front battery compartment. . Google that for details. If it is still beeping after being disconnected for this long, I think there is a battery somewhere..
    I feel so stupid. You are right there was a battery going bad, but it wasn't on the hard wired detector. Directly across from the hard wired is a battery operated smoke detector. That was the one that needed a new battery. It sounded like the noise was coming from the hard wired detector. So I found out by taking the hard wired detector out. As soon as I was done I heard the chirp again but this was coming from the other (battery) smoke detector. So I bought new batteries for both battery operated smoke detectors and put the hard wired smoke detector back up. Everything is working just fine now.

... Oh it's not fun getting old.

Thanks for all your help. I did learn new things through this exercise!!

Glenda
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2012, 07:01 PM
    Glenda, wasn't she the good witch in Wizard of OZ? Getting old -hmm hit the big 71 this year, tell me! Glad we could help you and keep asking the questions when you need help. Brian

Oct 21, 2012, 04:00 PM
    No that was Glinda the good witch. Not there in age yet but sometimes I sure wonder.
    Thanks Brian for all your help.

Glenda

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoke Detectors [ 10 Answers ]

I am replacing 11 year old detectors which have been producing false alarms... The existing harness wires are BLACK, WHITE and YELLOW... The new detectors have harness wires which are BLACK, White and RED... I'm not sure what to do with the existing YELLOW and new RED wires... Thank you in...

Smoke detectors going off without smoke once in a hour? [ 1 Answers ]

Our smoke detectors are going off simultaneously through out the house once every hour. And it continues for 5-10 minutes before stopping. No smoke is there in any part of the house at those times. IT is happening first time and the winter temperatures are around 30 deg outside. The smoke...

Smoke detectors [ 2 Answers ]

If there are no smoke detectors am I entitled to any refund?

Smoke detectors [ 0 Answers ]

As part of a renovation I am thinking about running electric to my smoke detectors in my ranch house from the basement. I have a couple of questions. - Are there combination smoke/CO2 detectors that can inter-communicate ? - Do these units need to be replaced every 5 years? - Can the units...

Smoke detectors going off [ 1 Answers ]

Our smoke detectors are wired and have a battery in them. Theyare going off during the day about 10 20 times during the day, but after 6pm they do not go off at all. I changed all batteries and re set the breaker in the box but nothing.Please help me because they are driving my wife and kids crazy...

View more questions Search