Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phungirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2005, 02:01 PM
    Another stinky bathroom question
    Hi I'm new to the forums here and to home improvement. My husband and I just bought our first "fixer upper". So far it's been a learn as you go process. Anyway we have a ranch with a downstairs half bath that has a horrible smell coming from it but only some of the time. I got some advice and have read the posts to this forum. First we replaced the wax seal but that did no help. So is my next step to check the vent on the roof for blockage there is a bad smell coming out of that also. If there is a block would I even be able to see it? My upstairs kitchen sink is a double sink and one side has a garbage disposal that has not been working lately and that side of the sink drains very slowly. Could that be part of the problem? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Michelle
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2005, 07:37 PM
    Can you localize the smell to the toilet? Is there a floor drain in the bathroom?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 12, 2005, 07:52 AM
    Stinky bathroom
    Are you on city sewer or a septic tank? Do any of your bathroom fixtures "gurgle" or "burp" when you drain water? If you have a blockage in your vent it may be where you can't see it from the roof. While floor drains are required in public bath rooms I've never seen one in a home so we can discount that. What fixture smells the worst? Where's the smell coming from? Do you live on the side of a hill where you might experience downdrafts?
    Let me move on to the kitchen.
    Have you tried the red reset button on the bottom of your disposal or is it stuck so that it just hums when you turn it on?
    The food that's lodged in the disposal's rotting and that's a major source of a bad smell. If you can't get the disposal to work then clean out as much crud as you can and pour 1/4 gallon of bleach down the drain. I'll wait on your answers. Regards, Tom
    jnissen Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2005, 10:42 AM
    If the disposal hums take the hex tool that should have come with the disposal and manually turn the disposal to dislodge any crud. Of course do this while the disposal is off! Never seen the tool? You can buy a new one (or borrow a neighbors) and insert it into the bottom of the disposal. Will clear a disposal if stuck about 90% of the time.

If the motor went out that another story...

Sorry can't help much on the smell from the drains.

Jan 12, 2005, 05:02 PM
    Me again
    I have a septic tank. I unclogged the disposal yesterday yet the smell remains downstairs in the half bath. At this point we have removed the sink and the toilet and plugged the flange . We don't have a floor drain and nothing else in the house is gurgling or burping (besides my 1 year old). Even before we took the sink and toilet out they were draining fine no problems just a smell. We can tell the smell is coming from that room somewhere, although it will waft around . We were remodeling the bathroom anyway so it's down to studs and floor. Do you think it could be a crack in the vent somewhere? I know there is a smoke test you can do and the peppermint oil thing to check for a crack but is there anything easier? Anyway I really appreciate everyone's time. I am thankful for any and all help. Michelle
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 12, 2005, 07:51 PM
    Smell
    When you plugged the toilet did you also plug the lavatory trap? That's connected to the sewer too.

Jan 13, 2005, 01:18 PM
    Trap.
    No I didn't know there was a lavatory trap. Where would that be. I don't think that has anything to do with the smell because the room smelled before we took the toilet out. Thanks michelle
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2005, 04:00 PM
    The "sink" you took out has a pipe coming out of the wall that connects directly with the sewer. Could your smell possibly be mold or fungus in the walls? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky Rotten Egg Hot Water [ 18 Answers ]

I know several questions have been posted on this topic, but here is my situation and I am hoping someone will have a few words of wisdom. My home is 2 yrs old and I am on well water-very hard well water. I had no problems with taste, smell etc. except the hard water spots until now. In Feb....

Stinky Cats [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 males cats; a Siamese and a Maine Coon. When these boys use the litter box the smell is unbearable! Is it because they are boys and don't cover up their business with litter? Is it the food I am feeding them? I have tried every type litter, deoderant powder, etc... I keep their litter...

Stinky Master Toilet [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am having a problem w/a stinky master bedroom commode. 4-level house is 18 years old and since we moved in @8 years ago, the top floor master johnnie has had about a 50-60% 'clear ratio' when flushed. It really never gets stopped up, but you have to sometimes flush it 1-3 times to...

Bathroom Plumbing/Venting Question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am doing a bathroom remodel and moving the location of the fixtures to make more use of the limited space. The question is, will the room be vented properly based on the drawing I have submitted. I would really rather not have to run a new vent here. Thanks a lot for your help.

Yet Another Basement Bathroom Question [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a few questions. I currently have a toilet and lavatory in the basement. The lavatory drains into a secondary vent stack which then enters the concrete floor and connects with the toilet and eventually to the main drain. This vent stack also runs up in the kitchen and drains the...

View more questions Search