Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtswife Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2012, 11:33 AM
    My son threatened me.
    Hi I have an almost 21 year old son, whom after years of drama ( getting arrested, car accidents, stealing, drinking and being abusive to his father and I) we asked him to leave our home.

He is now out of the house but won't respond to my texts and I am afraid of not him being in my life at all.

I tried everything to be a good mom, was always there and supportive of him. He has been disrespectful of me and his dad and our property. When he drinks, he gets abusive and the last straw was when he threatened to physically hurt us.

How do I deal with the emotions of knowing that he had to go, but he is still my child and I don't want to live my life without him.

Any advice?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
    I am puzzled that you would even expect one response to a text, call, email, or letter.
    You did what you had to do, and he is an adult. He has to learn how to be his own person all by himself, without you. You have no choice but to wait for that to happen (and yes, he could end up face down in a ditch). But to keep contacting him just adds to his confusion about being on his own and not hating you for letting him soak off you even while that's what he kept doing. He won't 'get it' for quite a while. You MUST WAIT. Countless parents go through this. You could probably find a support group locally or online.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
    There are no easy answers to the feelings of a parent who has to show tough love to an wayward out of control child.

But I think it starts with STOP trying to contact him, and deepening your worry.

Oct 13, 2012, 12:01 PM
    I know you are right about everything. Its just hard to not know how he is and I do question why I even care which I know sounds mean. After all he has put us through.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 13, 2012, 12:10 PM
    It's OK to be fed up. Don't get into a vicious cycle of guilt with yourself. You love him the way he was but right now he's awful. You put your heart and soul into it. There's no need to feel like you have to do anything while he sorts out his life. Life IS tough for 20 something's in a recession, and many of them do end up with their parents, but not so tough that they have to abuse the good things they had. Keep telling yourself that he is an adult and you don't have to give and give and give and tolerate all the things parents put up with.

Oct 13, 2012, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    It's OK to be fed up. Don't get into a vicious cycle of guilt with yourself. You love him the way he was but right now he's awful. You put your heart and soul into it. There's no need to feel like you have to do anything while he sorts out his life. Life IS tough for 20 somethings in a recession, and many of them do end up with their parents, but not so tough that they have to abuse the good things they had. Keep telling yourself that he is an adult and you don't have to give and give and give and tolerate all the things parents put up with.
    Thank you so much I really appreciate the support

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why should I be threatened? [ 3 Answers ]

Right here goes... Ive been having a lot of trouble with my fella lately as you can see on my older posts. Its just not stopping because its one thing after another me and the boyfriend have discussed sorting out our relationship but once again we have another problem on our hands, this...

Son being threatened [ 16 Answers ]

My son is in jail for robbery, one of his neighbors was raided and arrested when they found coke in her home( someone tipped off police and they had a warrant to search her house.) Now she and her family are saying my son was the informant and if they hear that he snitched on them to the police...

Being Threatened by Grandma [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Washington. I have a 2 1/2 year old. Her father lives in Oregon. He dumped me when I was 4 months pregnant, saw her at the hospital and once a week later. I moved out of the area to be with my parents for help since he was not around. He hasn't seen her since she was 1 month old. He does...

Threatened to stay away? [ 5 Answers ]

Ive been dating this girl for a few months now and today I received a interesting phone call. I answered it and whoever it was told me to stay away from her and to cease talking to her or he would "beat the crap out of me". I have no idea what could cause a phone call like this considering we are...

Being threatened with Fraud [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend of mine that is stating they are going to state that a charge on their account was fraud. I have my paycheck deposited into their account. They informed me that they wrote a check to pay for my cell phone bill. It never showed. I went online and paid the bill, which came out of...

View more questions Search