Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MLP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 02:32 AM
    Water Leaking through the Shower Tile Wall
    I take a shower and when the shower dry's I see some water leaking at the bottom where it comes through the wall into the shower at floor. After I saw that I went back and added more teflon tape for the shower faucets and new rubber and new monel seats. I still see a little water draining out the shower from where the caulk is. I push on that tile at the caulk and see water coming out. The other that I did not check on was the shower connection. Need help to figure out how to locate the water... Do I need to start at the floor level or where do I have to start removing the tile and sheet rock?

ADDED ADDITIONS 6:45PM CENTRAL TIME 03-11-07

I removed the Polyblend Ceramic Tile Caulk at the bottom of the shower pan and ceramic tile. It pulled off like rubber. My shower pan is fiberglass... Like a square. I removed the shower head and put new teflon tape and started the water... While it was running I put a q-tip in the tile wall area that connects to the tubing fitting and did not get any water coming out to wet the q-tip. Anyway I took a shower and the water came out of the caulk in the same location. After the shower I removed the caulk as I said at the beginning. This shower stall is from 1978 and the caulk I spoke about was done approx 3 yrs. Maybe I had used the wrong caulk. Need more help...

Here is the link that I had originally used: 11 Snow White

Custom Building Products :: Architects & Specification Writers :: Polyblend(R) Ceramic Tile Caulk
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 11, 2007, 05:25 AM
    As a rule you will locate the leak where the stream hits the tile. Over time tile grout will shrink a bit allowing water to enter and run down the outside of the shower pan. The solkution is to recaulk the tiles where the stream hits.
    To check the shower connection/drain remove the strainer and close off the drain byjaming wet rags or blowing up a balloon in the opening. Fill the base with a inch or so with wate4r and mark the level. Let it set overnight and check the level next morning. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile Shower stall leaking [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a shower stall a year ago. It has begun to leak. It is on the second floor, and I was able to open the ceiling just below it to see. The water is leaking from around the drain itself. The shower stall pan was installed with a poly sheet.. according to the directions... so that...

Shower wall tile grout leaking [ 1 Answers ]

After every shower, carpet corner just outside the shower door is very wet. Shower wall is made of ceramic tile. I covered and taped the wall with large plastic. I didn't see anymore leaks. I removed the plastic and inspected the grouts and corners very closely. I don't see any cracks. Can the...

Fix water leaking through tile on shower wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower where water is leaking through the tiles on the wall, leaving puddles on the floor. There are visibile gaps from where the tile shrunk along the lowest row of tiles right above the bathtub. Do I need to remove the tile and then recaulk, or simply recaulk where there are visible...

Tile floor shower drain leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 65 year-old Spanish style house and I have a Tile floor shower drain leaking problem. When I apply silicon around the connection of drain and tile, it temporally stop the leak, however. A couple of weeks later, it leaks again. Any advise or recommendation of a handyman will be greatly...

Leaking Shower Drain Tile Floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I purchased this house two years ago and at that point the stand up shower had some sort of sealant that was placed in a very sloppy manner around the drain. However the home inspector said it was OK although to me it looked like something to worry about. Well now I have a leak bad enough to...

View more questions Search