Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amalinda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2012, 07:50 AM
    Former Supervisor Claims I Am Making Defamatory Remarks
    I work in a program that helps senior citizens who have been out of the job market for some time improve their chances of getting permanent employment by assigning us to organizations where we can enhance our job skills. Our salaries are paid by government grants. I was assigned to a non-profit agency. My job title was "Marketing Clerk". During my time there I did acquire some computer skills (through my own efforts), but was also tasked to wash dishes, scrub bathrooms, vacuum, clean store rooms, etc. I wore a name tag that had my name and "Volunteer" underneath it. When I attended an organization meeting with the senior program administrators and was told that we should work in our job descriptions I mentioned what I was doing. The administrators immediately moved me to a new assignment and told the old supervisor that they would no longer assign people to her agency because they had "abused" me. I DID NOT at any time allege the program admin, to my supervisor or anyone else. The former supervisor sent me a letter saying that she had heard rumors that I was defaming her and her organization and that I could not come into her building or visit any public display her organization was involved in. She has appointed a "mediator" to talk to everyone who was volunteering or working at the organization while I was there to "get to the bottom of the problem". Should I talk to this mediator? In the letter she threatened possible legal action. I am worried and upset, but I have not, or would I ever, make slanderous or defamatory remarks about her or "her" non-profit (a grass-roots cancer prevention program). I can not afford a lawyer. Please help me know what to do. Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2012, 08:26 AM
    This is a supervisor, coving their own rear after they were caught doing something wrong.
    They will deny it, and talk to everyone to cover it up.

I may even show the letter to the person over this, since these threats may also bet wrong.
    I would talk to the head boss before I did anything
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 12, 2012, 08:34 AM
    Don't talk to her or the mediator.
    Don't worry - you did nothing wrong.
    If anyone has a legal action, it's the agency that gave her outfit a grant to take advantage of both them and you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is defamatory gossip in the workplace a hipaa violation [ 1 Answers ]

A neighbor is angry with me. She has gossiped about me everywhere. My neighborhood, my children's schools, Facebook (I think) several etc etc. The gossip is really really slanderous. That my family lives in squallor, that no one comes over to our house because of the conditions, that we always...

Can my supervisor divulge personal medical information to her supervisor and HR? [ 5 Answers ]

HIPPA Law in CO as it relates to substance abuse I took a two week absences from work to detox my body from alcohol and seek counseling from a CD Counselor. I work as a dental assistant at a prestigious university . I shared this information with my direct supervisor (the dentist) and asked...

Brushing off hurtful remarks about your looks [ 12 Answers ]

I don't get it. If someone doesn't like you for personal problems, they rag on your looks. I've never had high self esteem or confidence so once anyone says I have a big nose or my lips are too small I get offended. And I wish I didn't, I really do. I just don't know how not to get offended by the...

Un scientific remarks in quran [ 16 Answers ]

Satellite pictures proved sun is not moving, standing and lighting . But quran says sun is moving on its certain path . Why quran says and stands on this type of unscientific ...

View more questions Search