Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sondra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2005, 08:26 AM
    Cast iron waste pipe
    My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint and change fixtures and have successfully changed water valves. We found that the brass p-trap was soldered onto a cast-iron waste pipe. We successfully were able to use a small hand held torch to melt the solder and remove the brass. The question is how do we solder the brushed nickel p-trap on? Our local home-depo was stuck because the pipe is cast iron and not copper. So what kind of solder should we use or should we just call a plumber?
    Thanks for the help
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 11, 2005, 08:50 AM
    Cast iron waste pipe
    Quote Originally Posted by sondra
    My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint and change fixtures and have sucessfully changed water valves. We found that the brass p-trap was soldered onto a cast-iron waste pipe. We sucessfully were able to use a small hand held torch to melt the solder and remove the brass. The question is how do we solder the brushed nickel p-trap on? Our local home-depo was stuck because the pipe is cast iron and not copper. So what kind of solder should we use or should we just call a plumber?
    Thanks for the help
    There are things that don't add up here. (1) You can't "solder" brass to cast iron.
    (2) We don't stub out of the wall with cast iron. From a cast iron drainage tee we convert to copper with a Midland bushing and using copper as a stub out solder the trap to that. Take a knife and scrape the stub out and tell me what color it is.
    To solder a chrome trap or brushed nickel to a copper stub out you must first remove the finish down to the bare brass with sand cloth or a file. Then treat the inside of the stub out like the female end of a copper fitting and shine and flux it brfore soldering in the trap. If you need more assistance click on back. Good luck Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 11, 2005, 07:33 PM
    What size is it (the drain pipe)?? Give us the inner and outer diameters please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hairline fracture cast iron waste line [ 1 Answers ]

Here is the situation. I am installing a bathroom in the basement. Recently cut a section out of my 4 inch main line under the basement slab which is cast iron. The cast iron was installed in the 1930's and of course is old and brittle. Unfortunately, my first cut was made with a reciprocating...

Cast iron soil pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would appreciate very much if someone could clarify some questions I have on oakum/lead joints I have 3 horizontal hub and spigot joints to repair on 4" cast iron sewer pipe. The pipe itself is @ 5 years old. I would like to know if this is the correct way to solve this problem... ...

Lead Pipe/cast iron [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I just removed drywall to fix a drain from a bathroom sink. I found 1.5" soft lead pipe from the p-trap to a 3" hub on the cast iron stack. Can I use some kind of coupler from the lead pipe to new plastic or do I need to replace the entire length of pipe? If I need to replace, what's a good...

Cutting cast iron pipe [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a project I am working on in the basement and I need to tie 3" plastic into 3" cast iron. I will be renting a ratchet type cast cutter. The cast comes out of the basement floor and goes straight up to serve the first floor bathroom. What I would like to do is cut a section out of the...

Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for...

View more questions Search