Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lifegoingfoward Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2012, 07:02 PM
    Confused
    I received divorce papers from my wife, which was not surprising. We have 3 kids together. On her complaint she asked for sole physical custody with reasonable child support and joint legal custody with reasonable child support. I do understand the custody part, however "reasonable child support" what does that mean? I take care of my kids financially and many other ways. I buy everything they need/want. Can someone please help with the "reasonable child support" part? Thanks
    decarlo123 Posts: 27, Reputation: 7

Oct 10, 2012, 08:14 PM
    It sounds like she just means be reasonable when it comes to giving her what she needs for the kid's.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
    She wants to put you on a payment plan for supporting the children. That is what child support is.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 11, 2012, 05:04 PM
    she asked for sole physical custody with reasonable child support and joint legal custody with reasonable child support
    Looks like a typographical error.

She should have asked for "... sole physical custody with reasonable visitation and joint legal custody with reasonable child support".

A complaint asking for a decree giving you "reasonable" visitation, instead of spelled-out periods of physical custody is simply a way of saving needless work on the part of the lawyer or whoever drafted the complaint. Why should they go to all the work of figuring out a custody schedule if you aren't going to fight it and instead allow yourself to be defaulted? What you should ask for is specific periods of physical custody. If not, when you get to see the children will be at her "reasonable" discretion.

As far as child support is concerned, that is a matter of applying a formula (Each state has one.) which considers such things as each parent's income, and how much time each parent is going to have physical custody.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Believe but so confused... [ 6 Answers ]

I have always believed in spirits... My family has had an interesting life the past four years... We have up down the west coast, lost a child(stillborn) and had two more! Now here in the Midwest. My 19 month was in the house and all of sudden something caught here attention on the other side of...

Late period, pregnancy,confused confused [ 2 Answers ]

On 1st Aug 09, I had a very painful period which came 12days late.Before the period came, I had unusually swollen breasts,cramping consistently, consistent headache and nausea. I have been trying for a baby in the last 12months.I have never used any pill, nor gotten pregnant before. My period is...

I'm so confused [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. You guys probably think I have a lot of problems. Lol Here is my question: I was dating a guy (George, not actual name). We dated for 11 months, and we just recently broke up last month. Then, a couple weeks after we broke up, I met (Aaron, not actual name). Aaron and I started...

Confused by if its still there [ 8 Answers ]

OK my boyfriend and I have been dating for 4 months but now "single" on Facebook over a misunderstanding that we have talked about yet he still wants to see if he misses me (today would have been exactly 7 days.) I understand all of that especially since we have talked about everything that was...

View more questions Search