Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ewalk24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
    Do I have a law suit
    I just recently had an house fire that have been investigated and proven to be caused by Alabama Power. The power company was working on a power problem at my home and over powered my house and caused a power surge that started a fire. The fire did over $150k worth of damage and has left my family displaced for up to 6months. I have homeowners insurance but wanted to know if I have grounds for a lawsuit.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2012, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalk24 View Post
    I just recently had an house fire that have been investigated and proven to be caused by Alabama Power. The power company was working on a pwoer problem at my home and over powered my house and caused a power surge that started a fire. The fire did over $150k worth of damage and has left my family displaced for up to 6months. I have homeowners insurance but wanted to know if I have grounds for a lawsuit.

Yes, you do - if you have proof that "Alabama Power" caused the surge which started the fire -
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2012, 10:51 PM
    You do, but normally your insurance pays you all the damages, and then they sue the power company.
    Is your insurance refusing to settle?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 11, 2012, 12:11 AM
    Hire a lawyer on a contingency basis (fee paid when you are paid).
    I know someone this happened to in CT, not as bad, just every appliance burned out. The power company said to file a claim and acted like they were going to pay it, but let it drag on and never did (nor do I suspect they had any intentions of honoring it). You have to sue these days for just about every claim against a utility or government.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which cut will suit me? [ 0 Answers ]

I have long hair. They are black and silky. I have never had a haircut, but now when I have joined college, I want newness. I have also noticed that the heroines in films look good just as they keep open hair. Does keeping hair open helps to look beauteous? Should I go for a trim, and if yes, what?...

Suit yourself after you say thanks to someone? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I was exiting a bus the door still close and the bus driver said "suit yourself" and then opened the door .What did he mean?

I won a law suit [ 1 Answers ]

I won a law suit against someone in Georgia. They are refusing to pay the debt and I need to know how to set up wage garnishments against them. They live in GA. And work for Wal Mart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Law Suit [ 7 Answers ]

I am being sued by a third party debt buyer. The affidavit has a difference account number on it, The original company that issued the credit card is not on it. I have answered the summons (which is the first I heard of this company) and no court date on summons, three weeks later I received a...

Suit [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going to a evening concert, (jazz). Does a light tan suit sound OK. What shirt color??

View more questions Search