Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandrews12 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2012, 12:09 PM
    Child
    My son is 19 months old and wakes up every night screaming this normally happens between 12-4. I have to go into his room and calm him down pat his back and sit in there until he falls asleep but sometimes that could be hours later, he is still screaming. What could be wrong?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
    He is screaming for your attention and doesn't want to be left alone. You are going to have to let him scream until he realizes he has to sleep alone in his own room.

Oct 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
    He has been doing this for 3 weeks I have tried the cry it out! The first week, we were up for 3 plus hours at night trying to let him put himself to sleep! He has been in his own bed since he was 6 months old! I don't understand why now! He has always slept through the night without any problems! I am just confused...
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2012, 05:01 PM
    If it bothers you so much, it truly is OK and perfectly healthy to let him sleep with you if he will sleep better that way. Something is bothering him, and he needs his mommy. There is nothing wrong with that.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
    He is scared and he may be too young to tell you what it might be. Has anything in his life changed recently?

Oct 10, 2012, 05:44 PM
    Nothing has changed, same as always!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrews12 View Post
    Nothing has changed, same as always!
    Bring him to bed with you, reassure, and hopefully this is just a phase. Keep us posted.
    decarlo123 Posts: 27, Reputation: 7

Oct 10, 2012, 08:32 PM
    If a child is crying something is wrong. Children don't just cry if things are OK. Their's something wrong. Maybe he's watching something on Tv that is dissturbing him, causing him to have night mares. Pray over your child ask God to protect him, and give him good thoughts.
    Expert

Oct 11, 2012, 04:33 AM
    I totally disagree with bringing the young one into bed; not for any freudian reasons either. This habit is very difficult to break, usually child winds up in bed every night, and then one has to break that habit. At 19 months old, child is just realizing that mom is the major source of happiness in his life and being separated from that source brings on the type of anxiety exhibited by being left alone in his own bed, in his own room. Mom will not be there forever, so it follows that reinforcing proper habits we all have to adhere to is the only way to break the bad habits. It is a form of 'weaning off' that all of us have to face.

Have you checked for fever at that time of night, any discomfort he is displaying?
    EmilyVictoria18 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2012, 06:09 AM
    I would try a night light, a friend of mine had the same problem with her little boy at the same age, the night light seemed to provide comfort to him and he stopped the screaming.
    Expert

Oct 11, 2012, 08:27 AM
    I think a night lite would be a great idea !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can child support for one child affect SSI benefits for another child? [ 2 Answers ]

I will soon start getting child support payments for my son who his father has not paid in over 10 years but I'm concern that my other son who is disabled and gets ssi benefits that it will lower or take his benefits away?

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

If a unmarried father signs child's birth certificate can they obtain custody of child [ 3 Answers ]

If a unmarried father signs child's birth certificate can they obtain custody of child?

Can a father of a child force child support on a mother that gave up the child willing [ 13 Answers ]

While my wife and I were split up she got pregnant ( while on the birth control implant). I myself am fixed ( we didn't want anymore kids) and we couldn't afford to have more kids if wanted them. We thought about giving the child up for adoption but it turns out the father wants the child. He...

View more questions Search