Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pigpasion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2012, 09:19 AM
    Should I have concrete porch lifted or have it builtover with wood
    The concrete porch on the front of my home, as well as the attached steps have sunk, and the posts that go to the roof ar no longer attached at the bottom. It's a small porch and roof, extending 5 or 6 feet out. There is a small step down from the house onto the porch. The concrete porch is cracked. I'm wondering if it would look better and be more cost effective to have a wooden porch built over the existing concrete, as opposed to have the porch lifted. I have an extremely limited budget.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2012, 12:07 PM
    Wood resting on the existing concrete sounds not to be feasible if that is what you mean.
    Maybe if you could provide some photos someone might have an idea but it doesn't sound very promising from your description. The concrete would have to be removed I believe as it sounds as if it will eventually collapse and could damage the bearing points of any wooden structure built independently over it. If the budget is that limited, maybe total removal of the porch and roof and replacement with wooden steps with railing only might be the only option and would certainly make a safer situation than it sounds like exists now.
    Some churches have groups willing to tackle projects like this. Best of luck to you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 14, 2012, 02:53 AM
    I bought my house in May this year, and just last week discovered that the front steps and railings (which we never use) made of PT are built over concrete. The steps themselves are gone. There is no overhang.

I would call two carpenters to give ideas and quotes. I think you could cover the concrete porch, lift the posts and put new supports under them, and just remove the concrete stairs and build wood ones.

Jobs are getting scarce for carpenters about now if you are in the north, so this is a good time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New concrete Porch [ 1 Answers ]

Should a new concrete porch, 5' x 7', have a saw cut in the middle of the porch? I've never seen this before.

Concrete overlay on concrete porch [ 3 Answers ]

I want to pour a concrete overlay on the top of a concrete porch that has been painted. The overlay will be a sand mix with cement added. What treatment does the porch need for the overlay to work? mac74hd

Concrete porch [ 1 Answers ]

I had old railings removed from my concrete porch. Needless to say there are holes in the concrete that I repaired. Now I either need to paint the concrete or tile the concrete porch. I am concerned about the concrete being slippery when wet. I do not want to add the sand like texture to the...

Pouring concrete over a concrete front porch [ 1 Answers ]

Our front porch has dropped about and inch and a half on the back edge--where the front door is. We would like to pour concrete to level the porch and bring it up an inch or so on the door edge, and maybe 1/2 or 1/4 inch on the front edge. Then we would like to place porcelain tile on the porch....

Concrete porch [ 1 Answers ]

Concrete porch is pulling away from the brick on front of house , leaving a big gap and sloping down .How to fill gap and prevent further damage.

View more questions Search