Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Newguy07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Outlook 2003 won't save password?
    Under Email Account Settings I entered my password and checked the save box. If I close down Outlook and then re-open it and hit send/receive I get prompted for my password. So I enter it here, and check the "save to password list" box. Now everything works find and I can send/receive as much as I want without being prompted for my password.
    But when I close down and re-open again, it does the same thing when I send/receive.

Any ideas what's going on? :confused:
    Thanks!
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Mar 10, 2007, 11:28 PM
    Open Outlook > Tools > Account Settings > Double Click your Account. A new window will pop up for Change E-mail Account. Under Logon information tab you will find username and password. Enter your username and password and tick the check box 'Remember my password". Click Test Account settings and you will get a window with tick marks for all the settings if your settings are correct. Click next button and complete the set up.
    Newguy07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 05:59 AM
    THanks shaved.. I already tried that though.
    I did some extensive Google searching and I think the reason is that I'm running VISTA! For some reason or another this is an issue for Outlook and Vista. There is a registry edit you can do to fix it but I can't find the instructions for VISTA, just all the other windows.

Check out this link to read about it:
    Save password setting not retained in Outlook or Outlook Express

I tried following the XP directions.. which work up until the point where I tried to delete the registry entry - I got an error saying I cannot delete it.
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Mar 11, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Newguy07
    THanks shaved.. I already tried that though.
    I did some extensive google searching and I think the reason is that im running VISTA! For some reason or another this is an issue for Outlook and Vista. There is a registry edit you can do to fix it but I can't find the instructions for VISTA, just all the other windows.

Check out this link to read about it:
    Save password setting not retained in Outlook or Outlook Express

I tried following the XP directions.. which work up until the point where I tried to delete the registry entry - I got an error saying I cannot delete it.
    The link is not workable for Vista. It will work for the previous versions including XP. As you are using Vista why you are not using Outlook 2007?
    stevejum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Responding to Newguy07... the registry won't let you delete the entry because the permissions setting on the entry will not allow you to delete it. To change the permissions, right click on the Key (the folder in the left window), select Permissions, and change the permissions on the key. When you are done, reset any permissions you changed back to their defaults.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't receive email in Outlook 2003 [ 4 Answers ]

I can't receive mail on my laptop in Outllook 2003 . . When send and receive button is pressed, if there is outgoing mail it will be sent however nothing else happen. Early days I did once get a message about '... layer.. missing', but I've not been able to recreate this message. Or another time...

Outlook 2003 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need help in finding fix for the following error message when I am trying to print. Line 228 Char 1 Error: the specified module could not be found. Code 0 Url: res://c:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/preview.dllg Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

Outlook Express and password [ 3 Answers ]

New to this forum so if asked before be gentle. My problems is this: Whenever I open outlook express I am prompted to enter my password. The box to save password is checked and it is grayed out. OE connects and everything works fine. I go to account properties the box to save password is...

Office 2003 password not saving! [ 1 Answers ]

Please, please, please help! Everything was fine until about a week ago, when my system was attacked by a virus, which shut it down although it failed to get it. Anyhow, I've cleaned and checked everything, and my AV & firewall have kept everything out, luckily. Except... ... my office 2003...

View more questions Search