Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    19NaTe86 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2012, 10:13 PM
    My dog won't eat or drink
    I have a chocolate lab that is about 10 months or so and yesterday she stopped eating and drinking and is losing weight fast! She is usually really playful. Right now she just sleeps and sleeps and has no energy. Any ideas? I wanted to guess worms but I keep her on meds to prevent them and she has no signs of them at all.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 10:43 PM
    What tests has the vet done? Has the dog been treated for worms? Is the dog up to date on all shots? How long have you had the dog?

Oct 7, 2012, 11:00 PM
    Have not been able to get into a vet yet. Up on all shots and I give her worm meds monthly. I have hade her since she was just a baby (able to ween from her mom).
    Pets Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 11:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 19NaTe86 View Post
    Have not been able to get into a vet yet. Up on all shots and I give her worm meds monthly. I have hade her since she was just a baby (able to ween from her mom).
    It could be worms, but it's unlikely, especially since you're giving her the worm meds as prescribed.

It really is time to see the vet. It could be nothing, but not eating or drinking is a sign that something is going on, and it can become deadly if not addressed.

I realize that it's probably late in the evening where you are, so a trip to the vet tonight is not ideal. First thing in the morning is a must. Until then, if you can get some pedialyte, that will keep her hydrated, which, if she's not drinking, is necessary.

Is she vomiting at all? How are her stools? Is she urinating regularly?

Oct 7, 2012, 11:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    It could be worms, but it's unlikely, especially since you're giving her the worm meds as prescribed.

It really is time to see the vet. It could be nothing, but not eating or drinking is a sign that something is going on, and it can become deadly if not addressed.

I realize that it's probably late in the evening where you are, so a trip to the vet tonight is not ideal. First thing in the morning is a must. Until then, if you can get some pedialyte, that will keep her hydrated, which, if she's not drinking, is necessary.

Is she vomiting at all? How are her stools? Is she urinating regularly?
    It's a little after midnight where I am and I have been keeping peidialytein her for about three hours or so now. She has not been vomiting at all. She has had diarrhea but now worms that I could see and no blood in her stools either. Do you know anything about parvo?
    Pets Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 11:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 19NaTe86 View Post
    It's a little after midnight where I am and I have been keeping peidialytein her for about three hours or so now. She has not been vomiting at all. She has had diarrhea but now worms that I could see and no blood in her stools either. Do you know anything about parvo??
    If she's up to date on her shots, not vomiting, then it's unlikely that it's parvo. It's possible, but unlikely.

Really, I wish I could tell you what's going on, but without testing, there's no way. The vet really is your only option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't eat or drink [ 1 Answers ]

It is the weekend and I can't get to a vet. My dog yelped in pain about 14 hours ago. Since then, he will not eat or drink, even water. I am worried about dehydration. How can I get water into him? I can't tell if he is hurt.

My dog will not eat or drink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 yr old black lab who is a rescue dog. We found her at 10 weeks old under the porch in a very bad neighborhood. She was malnourished and infested with worms. We were told by the vet that her growth will be stunted and her stomach will be really sensitive. She has done very well over the...

Dog won't eat or drink [ 1 Answers ]

My two year old Fox terrier refuses to eat or drink. I took him to the vet yesterday and had xray's and bloodwork done on him to check for a vuirus or blockage in his stomach, but both came back as negative. However, he still refuses to eat or drink. He remains active and energetic. Any ideas,...

My dog won't eat or drink anything, what should I do. [ 5 Answers ]

His feces has no blood in it, and he hasn't threw up.

View more questions Search