Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peter49 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2012, 05:16 AM
    Brown stains on kitchen ceiling
    I noticed some brownish marks on kitchen ceiling where their were cracks in the plaster.house is 100 years old and has always had cracks in the ceiling.I chopped out the cracks and filled them in,painted the whole ceiling in moisture resisting paint[2 coats] and it still shows trough but even worse now.what can I do to stop this.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2012, 05:37 AM
    What is above the kitchen? Brown stains are typically noted with water leaks.

Oct 7, 2012, 06:03 AM
    I do have a shower above but the stains are well away from it by about 3 foot, I've sealed the shower again

Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Many thanks for your answers and suggestions,I will try some of them out.

I've tried wickes stain cover and its done the trick, which suggests that it was the nails making the stains when I filled the cracks.

Oct 7, 2012, 06:25 AM
    There is a shower to the left of the stains but when I chopped out the cracks, I chopped out the cracks all over the ceiling even the ones that had no brown marks,filled them too and painted but even those cracks went a bit brown.could it be the filler reacting with the nails what the plaster is attached to as its wooden nailed slats on the ceiling with plaster over it as its an old house.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 7, 2012, 06:36 AM
    Yes to moisture causing rusty nails that hold on the lath (wood slats), but probably from the shower, not the spackle or joint compound.
    Water can trickle across the ceiling before settling in a spot slightly lower than other spots.
    Another cause of brown stains (about 3" across) is dead mice, but you would find a corpse.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2012, 10:30 AM
    Try stain blocker paint such as Kilz. You may need moisture resistance for the future but you need stain blocker to cover the stains from the past and possibly several coats over several days.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Kilz or BIN, shellac base, not latex. If stain reoccurs, you have a water issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have water stains on my ceiling. [ 0 Answers ]

I have water stains on my living room ceiling on the exterior wall. I have been in the attic and found that there is no vapour barrier above the living room and that the insulation is pushed up against the roof by the exterior walls blocking the air flow from the soffits. There is pink insulation...

Brown Stains? Help! [ 4 Answers ]

I've been having brown stains on my panties lately, and I have no idea why. They do smell a lot, and that totally sucks. Was wondering if it could be poo stains, but then I realized that it's not, as my pubic area itches sometimes. I'm 19, and have irregular menstruation since my first period...

Brown stains on laundry [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know whether it's my Kenmore Elite washer or dryer, but I've been getting 1-3" long brown thin streak marks on my clean clothes. They show up on my lighter loads that I wash in warm water. My washer and dryer are about 5 years old. Does anyone know what is causing this and how it should be...

Brown stains in grout [ 5 Answers ]

Hello This is my first post to this site. I live in a 2 year old high rise (poured concrete) condo building. In one bath I have brown spots in the grout that disappear when I apply bleach but return in 3 days to a week in the same spots. I used a carbide grout scraper and removed as much of...

View more questions Search