Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rgmcneely Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2012, 03:57 AM
    Christian dealing with an adult son
    I have a 56 year old son who has been sober for 6 months and is presently living with us. He has been with us for two months, following a 4 month jail sentence for DUI. He is unkempt and has poor hygiene. He has a suspended driver's license. He is jobless and though I have driven him to job service, my perception is that he doesn't want to work. His presence has put strain on our marriage, and as a Christian, I don't want to put him out on the street, so I seek advice from others.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2012, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rgmcneely View Post
    I have a 56 year old son who has been sober for 6 months and is presently living with us. He has been with us for two months, following a 4 month jail sentence for DUI. He is unkempt and has poor hygiene. He has a suspended driver's license. He is jobless and though I have driven him to job service, my perception is that he doesn't want to work. His presence has put strain on our marriage, and as a Christian, I don't want to put him out on the street, so I seek advice from others.

I was not aware that Christians can't practice tough love, and that's what he needs.

The only way to stop him from taking advantage of you is to stop your behavior which enables him to take advantage of you.

Perhaps being sober is step #1 and now step #2 is personal hygiene or finding a job or something else. Is he sober through a group such as AA?

You can also join one of the AA family support groups - they've dealt with this before.

I think you need to set some goals for him and limits for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 07:12 AM
    As a Christian, the bible says, he who will not work, does not eat.

It also gives a man very clear instructions on hygene and character.

Kicking him to the street is very Christian, in that, a Christian helps those who are trying, but does not help those who are no accepting to change.

Set strict rules,
    1. hygene, if there is no hygene, don't even show up at the table to eat.
    2. house hold duties, he has to work around the house, make some duties,
    Including doing his own laundry, cleaning the house, cleaning outside the house, taking trash out and more.
    3. Unkept, not sure what it is, but if he is not shaving or keeping his hair, see Number One.
    If it is clothes, take him to Good Will or one of the thrift stores and get him a few outfits for 30 dollars and expect him to be clean and neat.

If he will not do these things, he is on the street in a week in my house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dealing with adult alcoholic son [ 26 Answers ]

My alcoholic son is presently serving time in jail for dui and probation violation. He is 37 and has been through several rehab programs over the past 20 years with family encouragement, love and support but with no success. His sister and I have decided not to contact him this time and see if he...

Dealing with adult daughters [ 8 Answers ]

What is it with adult daughters? Do they all go through this? I have 35, 29 and 25 year old daughters. I adore them with all my heart. And tell them so. They have all gone through a faze or time when they hate me and are angry at me and think I am the meanest mom on earth. They say I...

Dealing with an abusive adult child [ 58 Answers ]

My daughter is 20 yrs old. I was divorced from her mother for 3 years. I'm recently re-married. My daughter is very manipulative and has caused major damage towards my wife and new family. She wants me to leave my wife so that she can control me the way her mother did for 20 years in a very abusive...

Dealing with obstinate adult children [ 2 Answers ]

I have three adult children who have chosen to put me through an emotional wringer; I have had enough of their wanting to beat me over the head with their emotional baggage that they have decided is all my fault. I have disowned them in my will, but I need a more spiritual cleansing of this...

View more questions Search