Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fornews Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Pipe leak in ceiling
    Small black stain in ceiling. Was able to poke finger through drywall.
    After some time investigating I was able to feel water drip on my finger
    In hole while the water to the tub is being harshly/quickly turned on/off.
    I'm about 99% positive a copper fitting has a minor leak that only appears
    When the water is used and the leak is before the part you turn on/off.

Are there any other ways to fix this short of making a sizable hole
    In the ceiling and sweating a new fitting at the leak spot ?
    I can not get to the pipe from above due to the tub.

And unfortunately this ceiling extends to 3 rooms; dining, kitchen and kitchen nook.
    The ceilings are popcorn and I'm trying to avoid having to redo all the ceilings
    For what is currently a 3 in black spot.

Suggestions ?

Thank you
    Jon
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 10, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Boy this might be an easy one or it might take a little more work. First, what is the tub controls, a single diverter or two faucets? Either one can leak if 'quick valving' is causing leaks. The center control type may be the easiest to fix if the water is coming out of the center valve insert seal. If that is the case replace the valve that has the seal and that will stop the problem. This may not apply to the single control valves though as they are not in the wall. More info please. Nm::)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Before you can even began to repair the leak you must first locate it. Remove the Handle or knobs and feel for moisture around the valve body. Let me know what you find. Regards. Tom
    fornews Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Wow what fast reply.

Sorry guys.. I think I must have been misleading.

Where the leak is occurring is at the other end of the tub from the handles.
    This is one of those garden type tubs with jets.

The supply line runs down the length of the tub between the plywood flooring
    And above the ceiling drywall. I've not been able to see the leak. Best I've
    Been able to do so far is feel a drop of water on my finger if I stick it through
    The ceiling when I know the water is being turned on/off. I'm about 80-90%
    Sure the leak is from a sweat fitting in the supply line before the water
    Gets to the knobs (separate hot/cold). I unfortunately can not get to the
    Supply line from above. I'm thinking my only choice is to cut a significant
    Hole in the ceiling to fix the leak and then have to patch it up which is
    What I really fear because my thought is a patch will always look like
    A patch and the alternative is to redo the ceiling in 3 rooms !

Thanks again!

Jon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper Pipe Pinhole Leak [ 2 Answers ]

I just broke open my slab in my bedroom to locate a leak. Well I found the leak it's in my copper piping. It is like a pin hole leak. What is the best way to patch this problem?

Leak where pipe joins the sink [ 2 Answers ]

When my partners earring fell down the sink I had to remove the "u" shaped pipe to retrieve it.upon doing so the seal was broken where the piping is joined to the ceramic sink.what can I use to make this seal water thight again?any help will be greatly appreciated!

PVC pipe leak from toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Help.. My wife and I bought our first house 5 months ago. We are not used to living in a home with 2 floors and a basement. So, the toilet on the upper floor started leaking a few drops a minute, so it is not serious yet:). The drops are forming on the elbow joint of the PVC pipe in the...

Leak in PVC Drain Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently refurbished the powder room (1/2 bath) in the main hall of our house. Everything went well until I had to deal with the pedestal sink. After some struggle, I finally got the sink attached properly to the wall and the pedestal bolted to the floor. However, after I turned on the water,...

Washer Drain pipe leak [ 5 Answers ]

My washer Drain had a pretty serious leak. It is commomed up with a drain from the suite above me right after the drain trap. The day that it leaked the drains were augered as a part of routine building maintenance. The leak stopped on it's own and hasn't leaked since. Can anyone suggest some...

View more questions Search