Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    armking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2012, 09:04 PM
    My 5thwheel is 200ft away from panel what gauge and type of wire 120v 50amp
    I need to supply my rv with ac power asap. I am on a budget and will have to live in the rv through the northdakota winter. I need a parts list that I can take and purchace items online. I can install most things, just need to do it right.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 7, 2012, 04:16 AM
    Are you sure it is 50A/120V. Most bigger travel trailers are 50A/120-240V 4-wire.
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Oct 7, 2012, 07:17 PM
    dig the ditch below frost line and bury 1 " pvc at least 2' feet deep across roads or driveways, three 4awg copper conducters and one 8awg ground wire for 120/240 50A Two 4awg copper and one 8awg gound for 120V 50A. THHN is the insulation sold for most general use here, but Calif ain't North Dakota by a long shot. call locally ask what is common for underground conductors in pipe.

these wires are 2 sizes larger than what is called for at a shorter distance, but will minimize voltage drop at that distance.
    safest from wind/ice damage underground, you would probably be OK with 6awg and 10 awg if the bigger wires are too expensive. aluminum is cheaper but you have to get bigger wire and pipe and then a glue on box with hubs bigger than 1" becomes a problem to find at short notice. DON'T go smaller than 6awg and 10awg though.
    1 pcs 1"RMC rigid (metal ) 90 degree bend
    1 pcs 1 " sch40 PVC 90 degree bend
    200' 1 " schedule 40 rigid PVC conduit (assumes this has bells(couplings built in) on one end of each stick) make sure you include the piece up into the panel.
    4 pcs 1 " PVC couplings slipxslip
    2 pcs 1" PVC FA (female adapter-female pipe thread x slip) use these on the metal 90 degree bend put this bend at the end you will pull wire from...This means the end where it will come out when you pull it in. Plastic pipe can wear a groove in it with the string and rope pulling through a 90 degree bend and become incredibly badly stuck if it cuts into the bend too much. tough for me to deal with and I do this all the time.
    1 pcs 1' PVC MA male adapter (also called a TA- terminal adapter) 1"male pipe thread x slip for connecting the pipe to the panel box
    1pcs 1" locknut for the MA threads
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CF8Q8wIwAQ

(tip for pros, slip a piece of liquidtight flex with metal innerside over the string and down into the 90,pulling through this avoids cutting plastic 90s)

1 quart PVC glue (suitable for North Dakota, me in Calif.)
    1pcs plastic weatherproof box PVC with 1" hub(s) (slip hub for glue)
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CAN...YX9?Pid=search
    1quart wire pulling lube one 1/4" poly rope to pull wire in with
    vacuum to suck twine through pipe and attach rope to pull it in to the pipe, tie a piece of plastic grocery bag on the end of the twine to make vacuuming it in easier.
    Wire as needed, order it a little long, s**ks if it is too short, doesn't stretch, add enough to make it up to the breaker AND the neutral bar AND the ground bar. I specified the number of conductors to give you two hots and a neutral for 240v or one hot and a neutral for 120v. (
    (normally no need for neutral with 220v but you will no doubt need it for the 120v stuff in the trailer)

To save money at the trailer end you could just take the cord end off the trailer and hardwire it, (The receptacle for that cord is kind of pricy) meaning join the wire directly, you could also end the pipe at that end underneath the trailer in a buried N9 Christy box or something similar, just turn the pipe up in the box.
    http://www.oldcastleprecast.com/chri...catalog_0.html
    put gravel in the bottom of the christy box so it drains, tape the lugs up good.
    decent tape here
    http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/230...Fal7Qgodr3sAhw
    use polaris style lugs like IT-4 in link to join the wires and cord. One for each wire that size will work for any of the wire I specified
    http://www.polarisconnectors.com/pdfs/NSi/IT_series.pdf

use the wire lube with the bigger wire. You shouldn't need it with the smaller size. It makes pulling it in easier.

you probably have more questions, I have to get to bed, work is early tomorrow is Monday. This should get you done. Others will help

Caveat: You might be able to direct bury some cable up there in the frozen tundra, but since snow is (literally) a 200 year event where I am and ice is for your bourbon, I have no idea what might be acceptable if you go that route.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhHCcUnm4SI

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220v through 110v 12 gauge wire for 8 hours . Is the wiring any good? [ 5 Answers ]

Local power company put 220 through the house . I noticed it when a power strip was smoking. My house is a 60's era no ground system. Should there be concerns about the house ?

Attached garage sub panel wire type and size [ 18 Answers ]

Hello I am getting down to wiring the garage now for lights plugs and 50amp welder. In earlier posts I received a lot of well appreciated information on my 100 amp sub panel in the basement taken from the tap box I installed above the 200 amp main disconnect. Thanks again to Tkrussell,...

Wire type for a sub-panel to be installed in utility room in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a sub-panel in the basement, in our utility room. I am planning to install a 70A dual pole fuse in the main panel to feed the sub-panel. My main is 200A service, with single phase, residential, single family home. My load calculations is under 100A for the main. My new...

Wire type from main panel to adjacent subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp main panel that is nearly full and I plan on adding a 100 amp subpanel close by in the basement of my residence (south-east PA). I happen to have some wire available that I believe is adequate gauge (based on reading many other posts) but I want to make sure the specific wire I...

View more questions Search