Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bernaic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2012, 07:16 AM
    Kitten doesn't pee much
    I have a 12 week old kitten that only pees/poops once a day - I am now giving her water through a syringe to be sure she isn't dehydrated. When she does go, she uses the litter box and does go a lot. Is this normal?? She seems perfectly healthy but I've never had a kitten do this before.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 08:18 AM
    Stop with syringe. She is only 12 weeks old which means a very small bladder. She will have to be encouraged to drink water, usually they play in it first, figuring out what it is. Always have water accessible to her. She will drink when she is thirsty. You are doing more harm then good trying to hydrate her.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 11:58 AM
    Agreed, there is no need to syringe feed water, as long as she has access to water and is drinking she will be fine.
    Also consider what you are feeding, if feeding canned food then she is getting liquid intake from that thus decreasing what she may drink normally.
    Once a day urination is not concerning, as long as it is a good amount and she has a good stream.
    If she tries to go but can't and makes multiple trips to the box with scant results then you have a reason to worry.
    But you are risking aspiration if you continue to use the syringe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Male cat acting kitten to male kitten after bringing kitten home neutered. [ 1 Answers ]

I have three cats, Microchip, Monk and Minx. Microchip and Minx are 1+ years old and fixed. Monk is about 6 months old. All of our cats used to get along well. They'd sleep all huddled together. The two males were very close. Micro would groom Monk, play with him, and was inseparable. We took Monk...

Need help with pee pee problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a middle aged spayed male dog that I got from a shelter. I've had him for little over 1yr. He won't stop peeing in the house. I never see him do it but I find it. I don't think he does it while I'm home. He never poops in the house but he lifts his leg on things. I've never had a male dog...

Chihuahua Pee Pee [ 21 Answers ]

She is still using the carpet. She's having problems with potty training. If I crater her and attach the litter box, will this also convince her to use the litter box when allowed out of the crate?

Pee Pee Smell [ 14 Answers ]

How in the world do I get rid of the dog pee smell in my carpets? I used the spray at the pet store, I shampooed the carpets and neither has worked... She's going in the same spots as before... what's the deal?

Uses pee pad to pee, but never to poop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Chihuahua that’s about 3 months and I trained him to use pee pads in the house, he was doing really good so then I bought a litter box with no lid and put his pee pad in there to try and get him to be box trained, he wouldn’t use it, and started peeing and pooping on the floor, so I took...

View more questions Search