Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sadie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2005, 01:39 PM
    Dog having problems after surgery
    Our akita had surgery on her cruciate ligaments (both legs) last week. There were some complications (she has some kind of immune disorder so the damage to her joints was more extensive than originally thought) and now she appears to be in a lot of pain and is not eating and no bowel movement for a week. We are taking her back to the vet of course, but would appreciate hearing from anyone with less than positive experience right after this type or similar surgery. Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2005, 01:48 PM
    My dogs have done fine after the few surgeries they have had. I don't remember my friends having much trouble either. However I have seen similar questions now and then on the net like yours. I hope the vet is able to help.

Jan 10, 2005, 07:28 PM
    Thanks, our doggie is doing a little better today
    tiger_3leg Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2005, 07:38 PM
    I worked in a vet clinic that did a lot of orthopedic surgeries, especially ACL surgeries.
    In a dog that size, we would not have done both knees at the same time. After that type of surgery, they have to keep weight off the leg for several weeks to allow it to heal properly. Obviously, if both knees were done, he'll have to put weight on both legs... this can be very painful, and he's at higher risk of damaging what was reconstructed. Be VERY careful with him - I hope your vet told you to keep him confined, and only allow short leashed walks a few times a day. Home care is the most important factor in how these guys do post-op. You may also want to look into physical therapy - range of motion and muscle-building exercises are important, and swimming (once the sutures are out) is a great way to do this.
    Did they send him with pain killers? There are several very good medications that can be prescribed to help with the pain, and he would certainly benefit from one.
    These meds can also cause him to be drowsy, to go off food for a bit, and even not have BM's. This is OK for a day or two, but consult your vet if it lasts any more than that. It's a big surgery that he went through (especially if both knees were done together), so he'll need some time to adjust and regain his bearings!
    Good luck.

Jan 10, 2005, 08:12 PM
    Thanks for that info.. our vet told us she does both at same time only with dogs that appear to be able to handle it... I think it wasn't a good move for our dog, thanks again for the information... we have been so worried
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2005, 08:56 PM
    I know just enough about medical matters to say Tiger's answer sounds good. Nobody knows everything. However much confidence I have in other areas, I never pretend to know too much more about medicine than my vet's phone number. Somebody that can give good medical advice will be a great asset to this site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

TMJ surgery? [ 4 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with TMJ a few years ago and was told that I would need to get surgery to correct it. The pain comes a few times a year but its nothing serious but you can tell that my jaw is moving and my top teeth don't touch my bottom teeth(partly because I was a finger sucker when I was...

Laser eye surgery [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone had it done and what are the benefits and/or side-effects of this type of procedure.After wearing glasses for 20 plus years and dealing with the problems of glasses, breakage,losing them,struggling to see without them when I wake up.. etc... I am thinking of having it done so I'd like...

Plastic surgery [ 2 Answers ]

I have been doing a lot of research on plastic sergery in Brazil. The dr. I have been talking to seems really great but I don't know him and Brazil is a long ways from the U.S.A. I have seen his before and after pictures and they look amazing and I have done a lot of work in losing 140 lbs and I...

Vanginal surgery [ 1 Answers ]

:-[ I have had four children and um I no longer enjoy sex as much. Can anything be done to get the vagina back to a more pre-birth state?

View more questions Search