Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alpaca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2012, 06:28 PM
    Sailing Permit/ Departure Permit for Independent Contractors
    My spouse and I have been in the US for less than a year under residential alien status.

We are both independent contractors.

Do we need to file for a sailing permit? We don't have salary tabs to take to the airport, due to being independent contractors.

Will we need a sailing permit in order to ship our belongings back to our home country?

Also - on return to our home country, we will inform the USCIS of our new address and then receive our tax documents to our home country? Is that correct? Is there anyone else we'd need to inform of our new address in our home country?
    alpaca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2012, 06:30 PM
    Just to clarify - we are planning to permanently leave the US shortly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 5, 2012, 06:39 PM
    To receive your forms from companies you were working for, they will need an address to send the end of the year forms.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Oct 5, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Although I haven't heard any case lately that anyone at the airport actually wanted to see the Sailing Permit, you might be required to have one. See here for more information:
    Departing Aliens and the Sailing Permit
    Some aliens are exempt from filing form 1040C. You can find those rules in Publication 519 (there is a link to that publication on the above mentioned website)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sailing Permit for departing H1/L1 holders [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Do H1b and L1b visa holders need to apply for a sailing permit before leaving USA? Are there any exceptions?

Filing from overseas, sailing permit etc. [ 1 Answers ]

Here's my situation: I worked on my OPT from July 05 until May 06. In June I left the US to move back home to Austria, where I live and work now. Now I received my W2 from my employer in the US for the months I worked in 06. I did not file for a "sailing permit" when I left last year. My...

Travel Document and Sailing Permit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I applied for a travel permit and I left the US, then I received my permit from the US embassy in my country. But when I looked at the travel document it says that I have to apply for a <sailing permit> before I leave the states. I was surprised since the only requirement that I was told of...

Sailing permit for leaving alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am a GC holder, but my company is sending me overseas for about one year. As a GC holder, I informed my company of the repercussions it could have on my immigration status. Thus, they paid for the services of an immigration lawyer. He advised to apply for a reentry permit ( form...

View more questions Search