Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bond.Bug Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2012, 11:10 AM
    15/16/18 gauge floor finish nail gun?
    Currently screwing/gluing down a new plywood under floor in my kitchen. Now ready to nail down solid oak hardwood slat floor. I am looking to buy a nail gun as some are cheaper to buy than rent. This will be for the wood near walls, I already have the large nail gun for the majority of the floor work.
    Questions:-

1 Any difference between a nail gun and finish nail gun?

2. Which gauge will I need to nail down 3/4" solid oak slats into plywood?

3. These are the three guns I am currently looking at. All I can find at reasonable prices.

WEN 61720 3/4-Inch to 2-Inch 18-Gauge Brad Nailer

WEN 61750 3/4-Inch to 2-1/2-Inch 16 Gauge Finish Nailer

Hitachi NT50AE2 18-Gauge 5/8-Inch to 2-Inch Brad Nailer

4. Any particular length for the nails?

Thank you
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2012, 02:10 PM
    For trim out flooring I would use a 16 gauge, 1 1/2". 18 may be too small to penetrate 3/4" oak flooring. Typically, I use 16 =75%, 18= 20% and 24=5%.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use paint over epoxy floor finish (cement floor)? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi! A couple years ago, I coated my utility room floor with the two part epoxy floor finishing product for cement floors (which it is). It is a high traffic area, and some areas have begun to wear through and some coating has chipped away. Can I use a floor paint over this product? It is a small...

Pneumatic Nailer (Nail gun) [ 8 Answers ]

I am looking into purchasing a nail gun and compressor to use for attaching molding and building furniture (toy chest, coat rack, etc.) Does anyone have a suggestion of what type of nail gun I should get for these types of jobs? Thanks Matt

Nail polish remover spilt onto polyurethane floor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello~ I just spilt nail polish remover onto my polyurethane finished floor. I did wipe it off with water, then a soft rag. Do I need to do more? Will the polyurethane be damaged? Thanks~

Henry floor leveler compound nail through [ 3 Answers ]

I am leveling up a wood subfloor to install a 1/2 inch engineered hardwood floor. I planned on using Henry leveling Compound up to 1/2 inch thick over an area about 3 feet wide by 8 feet long. This area is a transition are between a great room and a kitchen that will all be covered with the new...

How to not put nail in tile floor. [ 4 Answers ]

I am adding a extra room in my house and the area I am putting it the room has new tile on it and I want to know how can I go about putting up the wall without putting the nail in the tile? I will be in6 months to a year making the room bigger. I just bought this house

View more questions Search