Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aetheart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2012, 07:28 AM
    Family tree etiquette (step-childen)
    I have a cousin who has been recently married. Her husband has a daughter from a previous mate. I have been doing my family geneaology for 10 years now. Is it considered to be impolite or improper to add her to the family tree. I am not too sure about the etiquette when it comes to adding step-children. From what I understand the step-child might not be included because she is not the daughter of my cousin.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 5, 2012, 07:31 AM
    Step children are not shown as children of that person, most faimly tree show who they marry, so this child can be shown as a child to the wife, though showing a prior husband for the wife.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2012, 04:08 PM
    Show her as his child and if you want more completion you can include the child's m
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2012, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    Show her as his child and if you want more completion you can include the child's m
    Sorry... to continue... the child's mother in parenthesis with marriage and divorce dates. It depends on your purposes. For historical purposes all the connections could be of interest to future generations. To hand on the wall now, less detail is more sensitive but the child should be included no matter what.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family tree etiquette for divorce [ 1 Answers ]

When a child is doing a family tree project for school, and his/her parents are divorced, should they still be pictured together, or should they be shown separately to begin branching to the respective sides of the lineage?

Family etiquette [ 8 Answers ]

I got married to my husband and his mother didn't even get us anything.. Is this really wrong? My husband thinks so too... Should I be different with her now? She is so tight its unbelievable

Are step children listed on a family tree? [ 2 Answers ]

Are step children listed on a family tree?

Family Tree Etiquette [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have an etiquette question I wonder if you could help with. My husband and I have been happily married for 22 years and together for almost 29 years. We have two children, a girl 19 and a boy 15. Yesterday was my mother-in-law's birthday, and as usual we went out for a family dinner to...

Tree Trimming Etiquette [ 6 Answers ]

My neighbor has a very large bradford pear tree in their front yard that is planted about 5' from our property line. This neighbor does not trim this tree and the tree has overgrown so much that a large limb protrudes to our drive way over our parked cars. We have asked these neighbors in the past...

View more questions Search