Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margotsd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Greiving horse
    Hello,

I have a horse who is greiving for his buddy, my other horse who was put to sleep 2 days ago suffering with laminitis. He is eating and drinking but is laying down most of the time with his head on the floor and I can see he is so sad. They were together for 22 years. Will he get over the separation anxiety, or should I look for a companion for him. I am spending a lot of time with him with the dogs. He a 28 year old Arab and I am very worried. He has some arthritis in his back leg and I have seen him laying down in the sun before but not much... does anyone have any suggestions... thanks so much
    Margot
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2007, 07:53 PM
    I'm sorry that you had to put your horse down.
    I think your horse would appreciate the companionship of another old horse.
    It would get him off the ground and up on his hoofs more and give him company when you're not around.

Kae
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 08:24 AM
    I've trained horses for around 5 years now.. if you could afford it I think another companion horse would be the best idea. We had a horse who lost his companion (they spent their whole lives together) and he completely changed. And not for the better. I find horses who have spent a long time with another companion react strongly to losing them. Our replacement companion was actually a goat. But if your horse doesn't like goats I do not recommend it
    margotsd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Thank you so much for the replies, I was thinking of a donkey, I have heard that horses and donkeys could be pals. Anyone in Southern California know where I can get a donkey, I would like to give an rescued donkey a home.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Donkeys work well.. try this site. You should be able to find a place near you from here

@LA Horses/Equestrian/Horseback Riding/Animals in Southern California: Los Angeles County, Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County and Ventura County

Or check one of these clubs
    Blue Mountain Farm - list of Donkey clubs and other organizations
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Mar 14, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Grieving is very real in animals. My friend Mary almost lost her cat to it when circumstances suddenly changed in her household. I think another companion is a lovely idea and lots of extra attention meanwhile too. Especially if it increases the horse's social circle, if only temporarily. Any way of taking him to visit others or vice versa?
    faithnsar Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2007, 06:10 PM
    My 6 year old mare ran around the pasture screaming for WEEKS after my old horse died. We got her a companion horse and not only did it provide a distraction from my other horse's death, she made a new friend and slowly got over it herself. Definitley try that! Good luck to you! And I am very sorry about your other horse.
    GERRR Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

May 21, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by margotsd
    Hello,

I have a horse who is greiving for his buddy, my other horse who was put to sleep 2 days ago suffering with laminitis. He is eating and drinking but is laying down most of the time with his head on the floor and I can see he is so sad. They were together for 22 years. Will he get over the seperation anxiety, or should I look for a companion for him. I am spending a lot of time with him with the dogs. He a 28 year old Arab and I am very worried. He has some arthritis in his back leg and I have seen him laying down in the sun before but not much...does anyone have any suggestions...thanks so much
    margot
    He sounds like he needs a new friend. If you get him a buddy, it might take his mind off his old buddy. I am sorry for your loss, I have six horses, and when our one 32yr. Old QH died, our one mare would just stand around, she would drink but wouldn't eat. We a 32 inch stud colt who needed to be saved, and we put then together, and Haily was a new mare! 28 is getting old, so I would get a pony that can't hurt him if somthin happens.
    GOOD LUCK! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Horse [ 8 Answers ]

I was looking around for a safe horse for my 14 year old and I had stopped at a guys house cause he seen to have a lot of them, I had ask if he had any child safe well broken older horses (my child does know how to ride as I had tought her} any ways he told me he had a black gelding that's about 7...

Horse sense [ 2 Answers ]

Pull Buddy An out-of-towner drove his car into a ditch in a desolated area. Luckily, a local farmer came to help with his big strong horse, named Buddy. He hitched Buddy up to the car and yelled, "Pull, Nellie, pull!" Buddy didn't move. Then the farmer hollered, "Pull, Buster, pull!" Buddy...

Troy Built Horse [ 1 Answers ]

Blade engage goes off after 3or4 seconds. I must turn off and start again, 3or4 seconds goes off again.

Trojan Horse [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know too much about computers, but I have AVG free for virus control on my PC and in the virus vault it says there is two trojan horse exploits? How do I get these off my computer completely so they aren't even stored in the virus vault? How does one get these viruses?

Trojan horse [ 5 Answers ]

I am running Outlook Express 6 on my Dell PC and have picked up a virus listed as c:\DOWNLOAD.EXE TROJAN HORSE. It has totally dis-abled "WORD" and despite uninstallinig it and re-installing it from a CD ROM I still can't get "WORD" to run. There must be millions out there with this problem. ...

View more questions Search