Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slone47 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Oct 4, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Ssi
    My sister put my name on deed to her house. I did not sign any papers at lawyers office now she's mad at me and wants to take my name off.

I live with my sister. She's 77. Her place is real small. She owns the house. I live in the basement unfinshed, no bathroom,and I cook on hot plate. So what do you think of a sister that doesen't like you to use her shower or stove?

I get SSI. I'm afraid I will lose it if I move out. My name is on the deed, she put that on so I can take care of her when she is sick. She has no kids, but she makes my life miserable just by being around her. I just don't know what to do She is not sick yet, but she says if I move out she will take my name off home.

She77 and I am70. Can she do that without me signing?

What should I do?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 4, 2012, 11:42 AM
    If the deed was recorded at the deed office (which is publicly available to anyone) then no, she can't take your name off. It isn't clear whether it ever was done, and it isn't clear what this has to do with your title, SSI.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 4, 2012, 11:59 AM
    If the deed has been recorded then the only way she can take you off is if you give a deed back to her and she has it recorded.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2012, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slone47 View Post
    i llive with my sister shes77 her place is real sm. she owns the house.i live in basement unfinshed no bathroom cook on hot plate,,so what do you think of a sister that doesen't like you to use her shower or stove..i get ssi. i'm afraid i will lose it if i move out my name is on the deed..she put that on so i can take care of her when she is sick,,she has no kids but she makes my life missable just by being around her..i just don't know what to do ,,she is not sick yet,,but she says if i move out she will take my name off home...what should i do

She can't "take your name off home." If you are on the deed only your signature can change that.

If she makes you miserable, move out for the sake of your own sanity.

Why did you agree to live in an unfinished basement with no plumbing?
    slone47 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Oct 16, 2012, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    She can't "take your name off home." If you are on the deed only your signature can change that.

If she makes you miserable, move out for the sake of your own sanity.

Why did you agree to live in an unfinished basement with no plumbing?
    Cause I had no where to live a the time, I coundn't rent any place cause rent is too high so here I pay one half of all bills and that is 200.00..
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
    Not even a toilet? Do you use a chamber pot or handicap toilet?
    If your name is on the deed, you are part owner of the house, and technically she can't bar you from using the bathroom.
    But I don't know what your feelings are about getting into confrontations with her, and $200/mo is cheap... plus she can't sell the house without you permission, and someday you might own it or at least part of it.
    I would save a few dollars each month and put in a bath with small shower. You could learn to do it yourself with a bit of help. Go to Home Depot and start getting advice. First find out where the sewer line goes out of the house and how high off the floor it is.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 18, 2012, 08:13 AM
    You had better get some good legal advice to stop your sister from manipulating you and controlling you. First you need to confirm your name is on the deed. If it truly is then her denying you access bathrooms or kitchens is illegal.

If you are not on the and have no written agreement, you are not responsible for any up keep or bills, or even to cooperate. If you are there to care for her or help her, then you have leverage to get some basic agreements between you both, so get some facts first, legal advice, and then negotiate a fair deal that helps you both.

You need to know your rights!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ssi [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has been head of household for r 20years of marriage. He is on disability because he has terminal cancer. My self& 2 of r sons (under 18) receive monthly checks. My question is if I got a job would r 2 sons lose their SSI? Because it wouldn't be worth me working if they lose their...

On SSI was sued in small caims court, is my SSI exempt? [ 6 Answers ]

Being sued by credit card co. is my SSI exempt?

In FLORIDA 23yr old son receives SSI will SSI affect his child support amount he rece [ 7 Answers ]

We live in Florida. My 23yr old mentally retarded/autistic son receives SSI and I want to know if the SSI he receives will be adjusted in the amount of child supportthat his non custodial father has to pay. Will they deduct the SSI amount from the amount of child support due thereby reducing the...

Can spouse keep SSI on dependent if they are paying ch suppt and it's less than SSI? [ 0 Answers ]

Husband will be paying 20% which is only 200 monthly. But he gets $400.00 addit for our son from SSI. Can he keep that amount even though I have custody? He says he will give the $400.00 to me, but the legal forms says child support is 20%, which will be less than 400.00. Doesn't really matter...

Can children of a disabled parent who receives ssi also get ssi checks? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I apply for my 2 babies to receive ssi checks... I've been receiving an ssi check since I was about 18.. the mother of my babies is living back at her mothers because her mother has sarcoma cancer and had her leg amputated up to the tip and the cancer then spread to her lungs so she is...

View more questions Search