Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    del1974 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2012, 08:02 AM
    I'm helpless trying to cope with a 14 year old son.
    My 14 yr old son is on probation for marijuana, I can't get him to attend school. I'm getting fines due to this. He doesn't care that I took his phone, playstation, and TV. I turn to his probation officer I get no results. I've called a boys ranch and he's not accepted. I'm so frustrated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 4, 2012, 08:11 AM
    Why won't they accept him at the boys ranch ?

Oct 4, 2012, 08:20 AM
    One said he's not that bad. So I called Cal Farley Ranch I tried too hard. They don't want anyone who might start a gang. I told her that I he's not in one. I just want to prevent that, but the word gang was said.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2012, 02:41 PM
    Hello del:

My friend tick asked me to respond to you... This is what I said to her.
    --------------

Hi tick:

I don't have an answer... I sent my own son to a boot camp, and it was the WORST decision I've ever made. 14 year old's just have to get past being 14.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 4, 2012, 09:12 PM
    I will agree, I sent my one son to boot camp at 14, he learned how to do tattoos on other boys and how to hot wire cars. Guess good career training at boot camp.

It took lock up in jail to get his attention.

Call the school officer, and tell them to come get him for school,

Oct 6, 2012, 07:48 AM
    Thank you, for your response I didn't consider that point of view. All I was thinking about is getting him in school & avoid these fines. I also didn't know that the school officer would actually pick him up for school. Thanks for your advice.. ex con & Chuck
    eman134 Posts: 18, Reputation: -1

Oct 6, 2012, 07:59 AM
    Show him whose boss whoop him ground his srry little but and sit him in a room no nothing don't let him do any thing and if that don't work I thot they had a thing were cops will arest someone for a little while to show them what its like in jail
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 6, 2012, 08:08 AM
    What you are going have to initiate is TOUGH LOVE. You will have to objective and do what you really don't want to do to help him.

Oct 6, 2012, 08:11 AM
    I've tried that eman the thing is he's starting to over power me. I don't want to show him that he can hurt me so I'm trying to avoid confrontation. I do pop his mouth when he calls me names, then I try to back away cause he's body slam me once. As far as lock up, he has been on weekend lock ups cause his probation officer has done this. He just doesn't care.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by del1974 View Post
    am helpless trying to cope with a 14 year old son
    Hello again, del:

Let me see if I can answer your original question.

You are NOT helpless with how YOU cope with the situation... Do what you need to do to take care of yourself...

You ARE helpless in changing your son. At some point in life, we have to take responsibility for how it turns out.. Looks like your son has reached that point.. He's responsible for it - YOU'RE not.. He's going to do what he's going to do.

excon
    b4m2012 Posts: 7, Reputation: 4

Oct 9, 2012, 10:36 AM
    A coworker of mine had a similar situation with her teenage son and this is what she did to snap some sense into him. She went down to the local police department and talked to an officer about how to handle him. Then after school one day, the police showed up at their house, handcuffed her son (he is only 14 too), and they took a ride down to the police station, where the policeman showed him around a cell. He thought he was going to have to stay there, even his little brother was freaking out. It snapped some sense into him, and ever since, he's thought twice before doing anything that could get him into trouble. Hope this helps.
    jtswife Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2012, 11:38 AM
    So sorry to hear about your problems with your son. I can relate cause I have been there.
    Not much you can do except if he is physical with you call the police and send him to juvenile hall. The probation officer should be more willing to help.
    jtswife Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2012, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by b4m2012 View Post
    A coworker of mine had a similar situation with her teenage son and this is what she did to snap some sense into him. She went down to the local police department and talked to an officer about how to handle him. Then after school one day, the police showed up at their house, handcuffed her son (he is only 14 too), and they took a ride down to the police station, where the policeman showed him around a cell. He thought he was going to have to stay there, even his little brother was freaking out. It snapped some sense into him, and ever since, he's thought twice before doing anything that could get him into trouble. Hope this helps.
    That's awesome!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 13, 2012, 12:35 PM
    Do they have a Scared Straight program you can contact? Can his school refer you to a Wayward Child Program? Is there an older male figure to support YOU emotionally? Where is his dad?

Get him evaluated and see if there are any emotional problems to deal with. Or has his schoolhad this done already?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does a mom cope with an adult son? [ 6 Answers ]

Thank you for listening.

Can't cope with the recent death of my 25 yr old son [ 7 Answers ]

My 25 yr old son recently passed away from (what we suspect) will prove to be an unintentional drug overdose. He battled substance abuse his entire short life and the pain of losing him is simply unbearable to both myself and my wife. I never before believed in "communicating with the dead"......

How To Cope With Rejection by 20 year old son [ 13 Answers ]

Hi I have five children and two are still under ten and fine and the oldest twenty five years is fine too. My problem came when my adopted daughter reached teen years and basically became really difficult with a personality disorder verging on psychopathy. We became estranged and it got so bad I...

Teenage son... the attitude changes and how to cope with it [ 4 Answers ]

Just after everyone's feedback on how you all cope with your 12/13 yr olds change of attitude? My 12yr old son who has always been such a joy and placid kid, all of sudden has had a HUGE attitude change. His motivation for homework and his sports have gone to an all time low! He thinks that only...

How to cope with teanage son [ 2 Answers ]

How to cope with teanage son

View more questions Search