Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bronwynbrouwers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2012, 10:08 PM
    Do girlfriends and boyfriends have to help the partner to pay child support
    My Boyfriend and I are fulling out child support forms that got sent to us by his ex wife wanting more child support. Im the new girlfriend I have a question on the form page 3 question 12 ( The following people live with me ? ) they asking him this question? How do we full this out when he lives with me and our baby boy. I don't live with him and then if he puts my name down saying I live with him then they want to know how much money I make a month when I don't want my money going to his Ex wife we are not marred. How do we answer that question ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 3, 2012, 01:55 AM
    Child support is based ( in US) on a formula set up by the state. Household income may be looked at, but only the income of the non custodial parent can be garished.

Also if he is single, and not head of household, he can have more money garnished in many states.

And just because their attorney asks for the info, does not mean, he is required to provide the info. He needs his own attorney to help answer, and also send lists of questions to her for her to answer as to incomes and the such
    brachotelohai Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2012, 08:16 AM
    You are not financially responsible for his child support, so they cannot look at your income too. I would leave that part blank, but if he is helping support you and your son, you can definitely include you and your son in the amount of people in household.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 3, 2012, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Child support is based ( in US) on a formula set up by the state. Household income may be looked at, but only the income of the non custodial parent can be garished.
    You need to be careful with this because if you have any "joint" accounts with him they may try to take the whole thing first and leave you to prove what was yours for later.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 3, 2012, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynbrouwers View Post
    ... I have a question on the form ... ( The following people live with me ? ) they asking him this question? ...
    Looks like it. The form was sent to, and addressed to, him, correct?

He should answer it truthfully, indicating that you and your child live with him (as I understand what you are saying).

If a questionnaire was addressed to you, I would check with an attorney in your jurisdiction to see whether you are obligated to answer it. I really doubt that you are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to pay child support if my ex partner don't let me see the child [ 2 Answers ]

I am pay child support and I have been for a while now but every time I contact my ex partner to see the child she just doesn't repond. Plus I know the child is living with her nan and not her mom?

Boyfriends child support put a lien on my bank account [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am in a real big mess! My boyfriend and I live together for about 9 years and child support is garnishing his paycheck for about 600 per month, which has put a terrible hardship on us. It's only for one child. The child's mother left the state and we do not know where she is living. He does...

View more questions Search